Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy 4th of July





Today is one of the most important holiday traditions and importance here in the United States. Though we call it 4th of July because of the day it happened the other name is Independence Day.

I know that other countries that have their independence it is a big deal as well. Not a better deal than getting out of the country that has ruled over you. When the United States got its independence from England it was not yet a country and there was thirteen colonies at the time on July 4, 1776 where now there is fifty states. Doing the math it means that the United States has had its independence for 240 years and is now the most or one of the most powerful countries in the world for a long time. Where I live here in Gig Harbor, Washington was not discovered for another 65 years and white man did not start living here for about another 35 years or more after that.

The tradition here to celebrate the 4th of July for many is having a barbeque with family and friends during the day and early evening. Some people buy and shoot off their own fireworks in mid evening while the cities put on fireworks around 10 pm when it is darker. Many places fireworks are illegal for people to do their own however often they do it anyway. I can hear fireworks going off as early 7pm and go as late as 2 am. I am a pretty good sleeper so after midnight I am OK when going to sleep.

Last year my mother and I went up to the Nightingale family reunion in Bellingham, Washington which is about a half an hour from the Canadian Border. So we had a very nice luncheon and seeing my relatives. Most of them are my second cousins who live in the Bellingham area though a few did travel from Arizona, California and Colorado. Many of them stuck around for the fireworks however mother and I returned home because it is about a two and half drive from Bellingham. We usually have the reunion every two years so I expect to go again next year. Everyone brings something to eat and share. Always nice to catch up with everyone since usually the only time I get a chance to see them.

The whole deal about Independence Day makes me think about taking classes in United States history as a kid. I really enjoyed learning history though I wish that I knew more about World War 1 and 2 along with the Korean War.  My classes they generally told us about Christopher Columbus, the Pilgrims, George Washington, the two Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, the Civil War and slavery. I have always liked my visits going to Boston, Massachusetts and the surround areas because it really brings history of the United States to me.

As a kid hearing all about US history gave a romantic way of thing though now I know that the history was not as kind as I heard it back in those days. The fighting against England, the Civil War and especially slavery was not a good mark on the United States.  I do know some things about World War 2 more than the First World War because I have heard so much about Germany especially. My mother spent her young adult life during World War 2 in Ottawa, Ontario Canada since she was a Canadian at the time. I have heard a different perspective on the war from her. She worked as a censor for the Canadian government during the war. She read the mail that came in to the German prisoners of War. She translated the German into English and to find out any information that could benefit the War.

I always find it good to think about US history once in a while especially on July 4th. Have a great day and enjoy everything especially freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment