Thursday, November 21, 2013

three musketeers chapter two


Continue our trip through Canada while in Gas Bay my mother purchased and brought back some wood carvings of the area original natives along with an old time sailboat which she still has to this day.  Being a musketeer I had to keep my eyes on all things. It is part of the job.  I saw a car that was from Ohio; it was the first car I had seen from the USA for a while so I had to investigate. I found very odd they were speaking French to each other. Being in Quebec I understood speaking French to the natives but to each other very odd.  I learned in history those in Louisiana spoke Cajun a form of French, but not Ohio.  I never did get an answer, however, it is possible there was a small community in Ohio spoke French or maybe the couple was originally from Quebec.

Our next destination was Shediac, New Brunswick which is a resort near Moncton, New Brunswick. There we visited our mother’s cousin Jean, daughter Marilyn, and two very young sons.  Jean had a place in Shediac. Marilyn was a very attractive young woman so I had a crush on her.  So I did really enjoy my time in Shediac. We wanted to be sure to visit every province in Canada so we than spent a day in Charlottetown, Prince Edward’s Island.  We did have to take a small ferry boat ride over.  It was a very beautiful island, however, what I remember most was how hard it rained. I have never seen it rain anywhere else so hard. It was on the way to Nova Scotia where we visited more family. Our Grandmother Shaw was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia before going out West as a young woman. She flew to Halifax from Vancouver to join us. She traveled with us until we returned to Montreal. While in Halifax we met an older sister of Grandmother, she was our Great Aunt Maude. She was in her mid 90s, while grandmother was in her late 80s. Great aunt Maude was blind, however, was in very good physical condition otherwise.  Also, she had a very good sense of humor so we got along great. Our Dad returned to Gig Harbor from Halifax because he had to return to work.  So mom did the remaining driving on the trip which is pretty amazing .This was only time we met Great Aunt Maude, and the last trip with Grandmother. My favorite place in Nova Scotia to visit was Peggy’s Cove, probably because I was able to run on the rocks.

Continue next post , visiting the east coast and return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment