Monday, February 10, 2014

First Snow

 On Saturday night Feb. 8, 2014, first snow of the year in Gig Harbor; actually of this winter.  Last year we had very little snow as well. More snow this time about two to three inches.   The snow likely won’t  stay around long as it will warm up and melt.

Makes me think about snow in Gig Harbor when I was a kid; I could say we had a lot more snow back in those days , but I don’t think we really did. I don’t remember to many days off because of snow, and we didn't make that many snowmen nor had snow fights with my brothers.  It would be sort of nice to let people know we did, but really we did not.

Most of the time playing in the snow was going to Mt. Rainier; it was about a two hour drive each time. One year my brother Dick ran into a tree on a toboggan; he ruptured his spleen;  my sister Barb had been up there skiing for a few days, and a family friends were going back home so she went back with them to be sure Dick was OK. We had only been there a short time. It was the only trip I remember where there was an accident. I really enjoyed playing in the snow, and getting into fights; each year I looked forward to it. However,   in reality the snow and I were not very good friends.  I usually got cold, and wet; I had to go into the lodge, and get warmed up.  So actually the fire place and I were better friends. I always liked the look of snow, and spending time out in it with my brothers.

I  know there are other things I have done, and I am sure you have done that you told others   that were not totally true.  I am sure you had grandparents who told you how they walked to school in snow for ten miles.  I am enjoying watching the Winter Olympics and the participants their talents and dedication.  Also, thinking how nuts some of them are as well;  so staying warm and I are being best buds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment