Friday, December 26, 2014

Boxing Day



First of all I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. If you are not familiar with Boxing Day it is primarily celebrated in England and Canada. It is observed the day after Christmas. It began as a day where servants who had to work on Christmas Day where able to open their presents.

My mother was born and raised in Canada so Boxing Day has always been a big day for her. We always had a large dinner on Boxing Day, and she would invite over four couples to celebrate besides family. She celebrated it for many years until the last three years. She is now in her 90s and she does not have the energy to put it any longer. She made it such a celebration that I think Queen Elizabeth would have really enjoyed it. The dinner usually was larger than Christmas dinner was. She served goodies before the dinner as well. It certainly was the social night gathering at our house every year. If you were invited over that night you got yourself quite the treat. Also, it was nice evening to catch up with each person on what their lives had been for the year, and what they were looking forward to the next year.

I am not sure why it was a big day for my mother but it certainly was. I hope those that celebrate Boxing Day do in the same manner as my mother. It would be nice to have the dinner but she did put quite the effort into it. When she stopped it three years ago I thought she could have had the guests bring dishes themselves but for mother it would not be the same. As I think today about Boxing Day I will remember all those dinners. I am sure we had the dinners for at least fifty years. I think about those couples that came for the dinner. I am sure they felt very special that day. I am not sure whether I appreciated it that much but now that she does not have the dinner I appreciate it a lot more.


I know that my mother is very special because of the life of self sacrifice she led; not only for us children but for others as well. I know when my friends meet my mother they let me know what kind woman she is. What is even better when I meet her friends what she has said to them about me and my siblings. I think it is an honor to have a wonderful mother. It is important to let people know how important your parents are especially in their old age. I am not sure how much longer she will be around but I will enjoy her for every minute I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment