Monday, September 21, 2015

Under the Weather!


For those who may not know under the weather means that you are not feeling well or you are a little sick so no big deal.

It is how I have felt the last couple days with an ear ache. I have been taking ear drop medicine and it has helped out a lot. I have been tired along with it and relaxing most of the time. Last night I got a good night of sleep after a couple nights not doing as well. I am sure most everyone who gets sick the nights can feel real long if you cannot sleep. Sometimes I get up several times in the night and walk around hoping I can get back to sleep.  I am not sure why I do that because it never works.

I am glad  at this time I can say I am under the weather because most of the time I am sick it goes for a week or longer. In most cases I have either the flu or a cold. When I get an ear ache like this time usually only last a couple of days thankfully.

When I was a kid I didn’t mind getting sick because I got to miss school. I felt being sick I could handle it for the greater good in missing school. Yes I was not a very big fan on school. I am sure first grade was when I missed the most time from school because I had the mumps, measles, and chicken pocks. I got those out of the way early. My mother really like the idea because I passed them onto my siblings. LOL.

Actually there were a couple times I didn’t like getting sick was in junior and senior high school. In junior high school I was supposed to be in a school play and I had to miss it because of my illness. I was disappointed in missing the play though it was not a very big part. Of course, I wanted everyone to see me on stage and who knows I could have been discovered. Ha! Ha! In high school I was sick if I have it right almost every just before Christmas break with a cold. I believe I may have missed our school choir concert in my junior year. I do know that I was sick during the Christmas break one year as well. I thought at the time why could have I not been sick the week before so I would miss school. I am sure the major theme is here.

At my high school graduation they always give out awards or acknowledge special students. Of course, I did not get an award or being acknowledged at all. Anyway, the point is that there was a student that was acknowledged for not missing a day of school for all twelve years. My thinking was something had to be wrong with her. I would have missed school at least one day a year even if I was not sick. Of course, she got applause by the parents and faculty. I shook my head with unbelief.

I found though when going to work it is a lot harder to take time off because of sickness. Like I said earlier usually I was sick for a week so I would go to work being sick. I am sure most people do the same thing even if you work for a company that gives sick leave. You do not want to look like a poor employee. The problem though you have especially in the winter time you are working with other employees that doing the same thing working while being sick. Every year they would come out with a statement in writing that it was important to take time off when you are sick so other employees would not get sick either. Though the statement came out each year very few would follow it.

I am not complaining now for being under the weather because I know others who are far worse than I am. I have an old high school friend named Howard who has cancer. He has been struggling with the cancer for the last three months. He has some good days but a lot of bad days. So if you can along with many other please pray for Howard. I am sure each one of us knows someone is dealing with cancer or another very bad illness so I say that we pray for them daily even if we do not know their names. So everyone have a good week and good health to you always.  

No comments:

Post a Comment