Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veterans Day


Today November 11 is Veterans Day in the USA while the rest of the world it is called Armistice Day or Remembrance Day. Armistice Day went into effect with the end of World War 1 on November 11, 1918.

Here in USA it became Veterans Day in 1954 where we  not only honor all military men from World 1 but all those in the military ever since. Of course, no one new or thought we would have another world war so it was known as the Great War. Of course, I was not around at the time just like World War 2 which most of us today know more about.

I figure what I will do now is to learn more about World War 1. When I took U.S. history in school we learned very little about World War 1. We were taught more about World War 2 because of Hitler, Germany, Normandy, Japan, and Pearl Harbor.

I found frustrating in each history class that we were taught about U.S. that started with the pilgrims and we usually ended with the 19th century. Of course, it was important part of history of our country but you would think we would learn some about the wars that happened during the 20th century. I am not sure what the education system thought at least in my school district why we were not more about this period of time.

It was important to learn about the founding of our country; however, you would think when we were to learn more U.S. history in the second and third years they would at some point talk about 20th century history. I learned more about this part of history through my parents than at school. My grandparents lived through World War 1 while my parents went through the depression and World War 2. I have to say now that I will need to learn the rest of history on my own. I just hope that the children growing up now are learning the full amount of U.S. history.

The most important aspect of U.S. history besides knowing specific dates and wars is how these mighty men and women allow us now to live in freedom. We go back only fourteen years to Sept. 11, 2001 with the downing of the twin towers that these wonderful military men and women continue to keep us in freedom. We are thankful for the job they continue to do every single day of our lives. We know that the war of terrorism is not over; however, the military is working every day to be sure that terrorism will end someday in our lives. We must remember those people in the Middle East, and Africa especially that our military is working to give them freedom. We must continue to work in Eastern Europe and Asia to be sure people’s lives become free as well.

I know that some of you are living in these areas where freedom still needs to be realized. I am not here to speak politics or the work of freedom but that the people of United States continue to think of you always as we honor all the military men and women today.

The United States is not a perfect country; however, I have to say I am proud to be an American and that I live the freest country in the world. I will pray continually for those in the countries that are not free that in the near future they will have the same freedoms that I get to enjoy each and every day. What is wonderful is that I am able to write this blog with my views and to encourage others with true freedom. Today I not only want to salute the military of the United States but also those in other countries who are fighting for freedom. Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment