Wednesday, December 30, 2015

What’s Next?


Now that we are coming to the end of 2015 and moving into 2016 we have to ask ourselves what next going to happen in our lives.

For many they decide to have a new year’s resolution where they decide to diet or exercise. Most of them are done with the resolution before February. Instead we all need to decide what we want to do in 2016. Besides diet or exercise it maybe volunteering or going on a trip that you have thought about before but never did. Also, it could be something you may thought about doing in 2015 or before and never got around to it. If you are retiring you have decided this is the year I am going to do all the things I had wanted to do for many years. Whatever the case it is a good idea to put the plan into action. You do not have to do it right away; however, it would be nice to set a date to do so.

I know that in January 2015 my plan was to make the year an adventure. I believe I did so to some point; however, I plan to expand the adventure. I still have to think about what that expansion will be but I do want it to happen in 2016. My mother is now ninety-five years old and I look after her right now so I do have a limitation of what I can do. It is hard to know how much time left she has. Just before Christmas she cracked her head and was sent to emergency where they put in twelve stitches in. They may be taken out today. In other words I do have plans when she is no longer around but they maybe several years away to being done the ways things are going. Of course, I do not want to implement those plans until she is gone so the time could be down the road I hope.

When someone goes into a job interview usually the employer ask where the employee plans to be in five years. A five year plan should be applied to your personal life as well as your job life especially if you plan to retire within the five years. It is another problem when you reach your 50s and 60s the employer usually does not look to hire someone in that age because they figure the employee likely will not be there long term. The problem I see in this thinking is often the younger people most likely won’t be there in five years either depending on the type of job is. We now know that people not only changes jobs at least five times during their life but they change careers as well. In fact I believe a young person most likely will change their career within the first five years of employment. On the other hand the employer may feel a younger person is easier to find to replace. Depending on the industry the older employer will likely be replaced because the cost is less for a younger employee. I found that here in Washington State where the Boeing Company when they hire a new employee they do not get the same benefits the older ones have had for years. This happened recently where a local newspaper replaced an older employee with a younger one because the cost would be less. The older employee was given a buy out for six months of pay. Still saves the employee money with the younger employee who has more skills for technology as well.

I have to say these are a good reasons to make plans especially if you are in the retirement age; however, plans should be made regardless of how old you are. Life seems to be so stressful these days so there are some individuals who are dying younger. I believe it is good to make plans that will make your life less stressful over the long term. So again ask the question to yourself what is next?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment