Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday


Today in the Christian World is known as Ash Wednesday. It is the first day of Lent leading up to Easter.

I grew up in the Episcopal Church since it is the church my mother attended. So my brothers and sister accompanied our mother on most Sundays.  Like most kids I did not really pay that much attention to Lent or other times in the church except Christmas and Easter.  I attended the Episcopal Church until my late twenties when I decided go to a non-denominational charismatic church. I don’t really make a big deal about the charismatic part because I believe I am a Christian for what Christ did for me on the cross. I do believe in the trinity and all I just feel the church I have grown most in my walk with Christ.

For many of the traditional churches the meaning of Ash Wednesday and Lent has to do with Christ fasting for forty days and being tempted by Satan. Even in some churches today many Christians will have the symbol of the Cross with ashes put on their forehead. My church does not have a service for Ash Wednesday however I will be attending the evening service at the Episcopal Church in Gig Harbor Washington with my mother.

I know that many of the denominations do things different far as Ash Wednesday goes. I am really only familiar with the Episcopal Church where the ashes are put on forehead other denominations may wait or have done on Palm Sunday. Since I am not an expert on this I may be wrong with my understanding with this along with Lent.

I know it is common for many Christians to give certain things up for Lent and for some they may fast during this time. Since Christ said that we should deny ourselves there are some things I feel could be given up all together while other things could be given up during Lent only. This is of course on each person how they feel personally.  Instead of giving up all foods during Lent for a full fast Christians may give up some certain items. The important thing again is to deny yourself as Christ did.

This is such a wonderful time of the year because we look to what Christ did before he was nailed on the Cross for our sins. Though we should look at all times to have our lives changed at least we can do it now. So for all Christians this season may Christ be with you all and may you be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment