Monday, April 25, 2016

It’s Monday





How everyone feels about Monday’s is different I am sure. It is the beginning of a new week and most are off to work which can be good or bad depending how things are going at work. Of course, there are others who may take all Monday’s off too. The next three day national holiday is Memorial Day in five weeks. I am sure most have plans all made for that weekend. Also a good time for us to remember the soldiers and veterans who died for our country in war.

Another thing it’s Monday reminds me of a popular song I remember when I was a young child by the Mama and Papas “Monday Monday”. I am sure most people of that era as one of those icon songs. I sure remember the wonderful voice of Mama Cass. Just like another woman of that period in Karen Carpenter who tragically died to soon before her time too.

The third woman singer I remember of that period that has sang for many years in Cher. I really liked the getups she wore on the Sonny and Cher show. What a funny pair who made us laugh for several years along with their singing. What was interesting to me was trying to figure out who was singing which part since their voices were so much alike.

Also reminds me of the other variety shows in the 60s. There was the Dean Martin Show and Andy Williams where we were all introduced to the Osmond Brothers and the Jackson Five. Seeing a very young Donny Osmond then later on we were introduced to Jimmy Osmond and their sister Marie. Donny and Marie then had their own variety show later on.

Another one that came along from the United Kingdom in Tom Jones and the era ended with Rowan and Martin. I know that I am missing a few other ones as well.

The music was so wonderful in the 60s with California girls, Yellow Submarine among the many Beatle songs we heard over the years. My first 45 was All We Need is Love with I am a Walrus on the flip side. Really loved that song and other ones I liked were Mellow Yellow by Donavan and Puff the Magic Dragon. I can name so many other ones from the 60s. What a great time to grow up when it came to music. Being introduced to several British groups like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Hollies just to name a few.

Two television shows that brought music to the season were the Monkeys and the Partridge Family. You could see Beatle cartoons on Saturday mornings as well.

So you see Monday’s can’t all be bad since it gives so many memories for us all growing up in the 60s. I am sure most parents were shaking their heads wondering what this world was come too. All this music will be remembered way long after we are gone and the generations ahead will enjoy them too.


No comments:

Post a Comment