Thursday, November 17, 2016

November’s Comings and Goings


                                                     Good for this holiday season



To be honest I am not sure what to name this post however this is the best I came up with. Yesterday on my daily walk with a cold wind and overcast clouds I thought about the Novembers past and what maybe like this year and in the future to.

Next Thursday will be Thanksgiving Day here in the USA. I was thinking on the trail about the Thanksgiving pasts. It is especially true of the ones I had growing up and into my 20’s, 30s and 40s.  Most of those I spent a lot of Thanksgivings and Christmases as well are now gone.  It has been a while since my older brother Dick and my dad have been gone. They both enjoyed Thanksgiving a lot along with Christmas.  Dick when he finished college he lived in New York City until his death. When my sister moved back to Quebec Dick would spend each Thanksgiving and Christmas with her family. I know that she misses those times to especially now that her husband has passed away as well. Her two son’s Ken and Connor spend the holidays with her.  They miss the special times spent with their dad and Dick however they enjoy the times now with her. 

I remember the special time at Thanksgiving as a youth where the kids would have a table in another room while the adults were having dinner at the main table.  It was wonderful when I got old enough to graduate to the main table. I do have to say though I did enjoy the dinner in the other room. A lot of laughter happened during those times.

When my sister got married then my brother-in-law’s family started coming over for Thanksgiving and we would go over to their place for Christmas dinner.  Besides having a great meal of turkey, mashed potatoes and graving along with stuffing it was playing a card game before and after. I really miss those times especially those involved. I am so thankful now that they were part of my life and I miss them all very much.

I have visited my brother Jack a few times at Thanksgiving and Christmas as well. It has been a few years since doing so and that was very special to seeing my niece and nephews.  This year my mother and I went back to St. Louis in August for the wedding of my nephew Ian and his bridge Helen. It was a special wedding and to see them give their vows along with seeing his sister, her husband, my other two nephews  Robby and Danny along with my sister who made the trip as well.

This year will be different this holiday season because my cousin Bronwen passed away in August of Cancer. It is hard to believe that she is gone just like my brother, dad and the others. Bronwen and I had not spent Thanksgivings or Christmases like we did as children however we always talked on the phone to wish each other a good season and sometimes we would visit during the holiday season though not on the exact days. It was good to know her husband Hanks as well. I know that he misses Bronwen desperately.  Just last week it would have been their 20th wedding anniversary. He did spend the time with Jennifer (Bronwen’s younger sister) and her husband Holt in Oregon.  It is all these people that I miss during this time of the year.

My mother and I will be spending Christmas dinner at her church with others who don’t have much family in the area either.  I will start Thanksgiving off going for my daily walk after wishing you all a great day whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not. I will stop at my favorite coffee shop that is open until mid-day to wish them all who are there a Happy Thanksgiving Day. I will return home to watch a little football and time with mom before heading to Church for a lovely meal.

Remember to look back at the holiday pasts and for the ones coming up.  My thoughts are with you since I am sure most have lost a loved one during the last year or at least the last several years. It is always sad to lose loved ones that are so dear to us however we must enjoy those who are still with us now. May you be blessed today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment