Saturday, August 19, 2017

Life in the Country




 Where we were born and raised is a lot to do with who we are. Of course there are those who moved a lot because their father or parents were in the military and those like myself who grew up in the same house; also those who moved a few times whether it was in the same area or not.

My sister and brother have both lived now away from home longer than they did here however it is still part of them and that is the point.

For some you have grown up in the big city while others in the suburbs, small towns or out in the country like me. It is part of our lives and identity. You may live now in a different place than you grew up however it doesn’t change in who you are. It is possible that you have the big town or small town in you or the country for that matter.

I find interesting now is that where I live in Gig Harbor is more becoming like a suburb to Tacoma and Seattle. The city of Gig Harbor was a very small town when I was growing up while now it has more than doubled in size. I actually grew up in the outskirts of Gig Harbor so I wasn’t really living in the town though I could see it on the other side. Where I grew up is now in the city limits but I don’t consider it part of the town still. The house I grew up in is only one of the three houses that are still standing. All the other houses have been replaced with newer and larger homes.

When I was growing up the neighborhood was made up middle class families like mine or those who came out on the weekends or summer. When my dad was growing up our house was a cabin and almost everyone in the neighborhood spent weekends and summers their most of the time. Now those who live in the old neighborhood are all wealthy because all the houses are valued over a million dollars. My neighborhood isn’t the only one that way. If you are looking to purchase a home around Gig Harbor most of them run just under half a million or they are over a million. So the average Joe like me has to rent an apartment or living in a house that they have had for many years.

Though Gig Harbor feels more like a suburb in some ways there is still a country feeling here. When I go out for walks I will hear the black birds, see squirrels, rabbits and occasion deer. I go for my walks in the early morning so I can feel the fresh air along with hearing the birds and seeing the animals that decide to make themselves known.

What upsets me about the area is where developers are coming in and clear cutting land. I don’t mind the small developments because often you can’t see the homes because of the trees until you go down the street.

I know wherever anyone is living change is happening however we don’t have accept some of the differences but when they do happen we still have the memories of our childhood whether it is in the country, small town or big city. Most of all they are part of you and that is what life is all about besides family of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment