Monday, November 25, 2013

holiday season


It is hard to believe that the holiday season is here again.  For some they look forward to it every year while others get depressed and lonely. I am somewhere in the middle. I have my ups and my downs as well.

This year for thanksgiving I will be spending it with my mother only. I am thankful she is still around. She is now 93 years old, and is the only one left in our family in her generation. She is still in her right mind, and is physically in pretty good shape. She does have some parts of her body that hurt like we all do. Also, she still drives as well. She plays bridge several times a week along with belonging to several groups and church. It is nice she has a lot of friends. Not everyone her age is so blessed.  Though it will be only the two of us, I will be thinking about other family members and friends during the time.  So far I don’t have any plans for either Christmas or New Year’s other than Mom will be here. I have been thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas past because many of them no longer with us.  When I was a child at Thanksgiving the children would have dinner meal in another room while the adults where at the main table. I remember how nice it was to graduate to the main table. Besides my brothers the other children were my cousins.  In 1973 my sister cot married so my brother-in-law Bob, and his family were added on. Thanksgiving would be spent at our house while Christmas would be at Bob’s parents place in Lakewood, Washington.  It was a grand time playing games as well as opening Christmas presents.  A few years later nephew’s Ken and Connor were added to the family.  This was the tradition until the late 80s when Barb, Bob, Ken, and Connor moved to Quebec.  So neither Thanksgiving nor Christmas gatherings were as large either.  Also Jack got married after going off to college so he was not around as often either.  We started losing Bob’s dad, Dick, and my Dad in the 90s passing away. In the meantime Jack started having family as well. At this point the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners were changed. Since most of the family was on the East Coast by this point. Some years either mother or I would travel for Thanksgiving or Christmas to spend with family. Now this is how the holidays’ are spent. I really do miss those times in the past.  Though at home this year I am sure I will travel in the future for the holidays’, however, mother no longer travels.  Barb and Jack both came back to Gig Harbor in September. We had a really great time. Barb says that she plans to come to visit every year.  Jack plans to come as well. Other family members will come to visit depending on the time they have. I am sure as many as can will come when Mother turns 95. Of course, it depends if she is still around. Her family has long life, and they way she feels she could be around for a long time.
I find New Year’s being the hardest of the holidays.  My feelings go up and down a lot. If the holiday did not occur at all I would be fine with it all together.  I think most people just want to party. I spend the time thinking about the year that just finished and the one that is starting. I know for many to it is hard when you have lost family or friends during the year ended.  I find it hard because I think here I am again still single, and no one to share life with.  Will this be the year or the one after that or so on and so on? However like most I think about the year ahead, and what will happen. Just let you know we all have a purpose and a destiny. So I will think about the purpose ahead for 2014. I know I will have to battle over the depression that I maybe alone. Actually I am not alone I have lots of friends and family to see. If you have to battle those same things; let you know that I am with you as well. Think about your purpose and destiny. You do have one where you can change other lives. I think the thought of being alone usually is when we feel very selfish. We need to look at what we can do for others. I see that this blog is one way I can inspire others, and keep their spirits up. Another for me is meet new friends, and to see the old ones. During this holiday season if you see me give me a hug or at least a nice smile. If we don’t see each  other let you know that I am thinking of you, and in my heart I am hugging you. Happy holidays’ to all and be very blessed.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment