Monday, January 6, 2014

movie review


I figure I won’t do this very often write about a movie, however, I went and saw Saving Mr. Banks on Jan 4. I wasn’t really sure what I was going to see other than Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were in the movie, and had something to do with Mary Poppins.  At least for me I found it to a very good movie, entertaining and well balanced.  What I mean by being well balanced is that there was nothing too much in any area.  The story was about P.L. Travers the author of Mary Poppins, and Walt Disney; he was trying to get the movie rights and she was being difficult. The time period was 1961, however, there was flash backs to when she was a child, and her relationship with her father. I am trying to be careful here because I don’t want to give away the whole movie. There were scenes showing the progress of making the movie of Mary Poppins with the song writers playing some of the music. This is what I mean by well balanced is that they didn’t spend too much time either the past or present, or performing the music. I think the movie was good for those of us that grew up in the 60s. For me Mary Poppins was the very first movie I went to see in the theatre. My parents were not really into movies especially my dad so my sister took my brothers and I to the theatre. So Saving Mr. Banks gave me more meaning and understanding of Mary Poppins. I am sure others would enjoy the movie as well but I just think it means more for us in the 60s.

I have been writing mostly about family and P.L. Travers is spending time thinking so much of her childhood. I now can understand when times are difficult for children it would be very easy for children to create their own fantasy world, and this is how she came writing about Mary Poppins. I find that each of us have found different ways to handle things while we were children. I know that none of us had a perfect childhood; even those of us that came from more normal homes. I would spend time crying before falling to sleep, and I am sure everyone had their own way of coping.  Some people have been able to overcome their childhood while others still live in the past. It is very important that we each deal with the circumstances, and move on. Living in the present, and looking forward to the future is very important. I don’t really believe in going to a professional, however, I know there are those who need to do so.

Now the holidays are over, everyone is now going back to their normal lives; if there is really such a thing.

Until next time much love to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment