Sunday, February 23, 2014

Writing continues

I have heard from several sport writers say the more you write the better you get. So far I think it is really true.  One thing I want to be sure not to do is writing the same words over again to many times.

For me it is amazing thing to be able to write; as a kid I would never have thought this would be possible.  I say this because when I was four years old I had the problem not hearing correctly; the doctor when checking out found that I had wax in my ears. It really doesn't sound like a big problem; however, many things like speech are developed by that age.  I don’t remember what happened at the time; just told by my parents. I went to a speech therapist in Fife, Washington to help my speech; the only thing I remember about the experience was a deer she had in her yard. My mother asked my kindergarten teacher whether I was being teased for the way I talked; she assured my mother I was not.

I caught up pretty good in English in first grade far as the alphabet goes except u, v, w, x, y, and z.  I many times got them mixed up in order, and I was frustrated because the other kids had no problem.  With some help I corrected the problem.

Actually reading became more of a problem for me.  My parents knew the only way I would stay interested in reading would get me subscription to Sports Illustrated since I was interested in sports.  Most books I had no interest in so I had to be creative in writing book reports; I read the front, and back covers, along with first and last chapters.  I was a few grades behind until after my ninth grade; I took a speed reading class during summer break.  I was the only student so I was able to get personal attention; when completing the course I had an eleventh grade reading level.   When I went to community college in the 1990s my reading level increased to junior year of college. So I am very proud to know I can ready very well now.


This tells us that whatever the difficult circumstances that comes across us we can persevere; one of our goals to become a champion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment