Friday, February 21, 2014

Today versus Yesterday


I am wondering whether it would be better to grow up today in Gig Harbor or when I did in 1960s and 1970s. I am sure everyone has thought about it  at one time or another.

There were a lot of good things happening back then, but it would be nice to have some things now back then as well. 

The number one thing that I would really not want to change is the kids I grew up with; it would be nice if they could come along as well.  Not everything was good back then, but even those that I didn't get along well with I would still like to have them around.

The one thing that would have been nice back in 60s and 70s would be some of the technology. I would not take all the technology because I don’t like some of it even for today.  Computers along with cell phones I would like to have.  Not all the applications or games.  We always had to find a pay phone to use when calling parents so it would have been nice to have a cell phone; having the access to do a limited amount of text messaging to contact parents.  I don’t like today those kids especially do so much text messaging they don’t talk to each other like they should. Also, I am not a big fan of video games for the same reason of no interaction, and staying inside too much, but it would be nice to have some access to be able to play games when the weather is real bad, and we have to stay indoors all day.  I found playing board games, and playing cards being old after a while.

Another technology would be cable television; we had very poor television reception. We only had to watch about three channels, and they were not that good either.  When cable came in around the mid 70s we were excited. Now I think there are way too many channels.

Gig Harbor now is more than twice as many people; there are two high schools, more middle schools, and elementary schools. In fact, there is a need now for another elementary school.  When I was growing up we had only one high school, and one junior high school. So everyone new almost everyone else; also, we have several more shopping centers as well. Traffic has become heavier around the area though a second bridge has been added.

Even though I still enjoy Gig Harbor, and take advantage of the added technology I really think I would keep everything the same. Remembering the days growing up, and living the good times of today; it would be nice to still have the simple times.


So if I were a parent today I would have my children enjoy the good things of today along with the simple times of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment