Monday, February 17, 2014

kayaking

On Saturday Feb.15, 2014 I was out for my regular walk around the waterfront of Gig Harbor. It was limited because of rain downpour; however, the youth were out starting new season of training in kayaking. It is a big deal now in Gig Harbor as they have the Gig Harbor Kayak Club.  They not only train but they have members who have gone on to nationals. They have children both boys, and girls beginning at nine years of age until eighteen. You can see the new kayaks by doing a Google search for Gig Harbor Kayak. You can see a number of pictures that shows Gig Harbor along with the kayaks. They also have their own Facebook page as well.

Along the Gig Harbor waterfront they  have shops  you can either buy or rent kayaks, so if you’re a visitor to Gig Harbor you can rent one for the day. Also, they have tours, and teach how to use the kayak.

When you come to Gig Harbor you can rent or take tour by boats as well.  You can get more information about it or other events by going to www. GigHarborguide.com. They have a Facebook page  as well.

It has come a long ways from when I was a child. They either had no or very little kayaks; my brother Jack built a homemade kayak when he was in high school. It was really nice though nothing like the kayaks of today. It shows how many changes have occurred in Gig Harbor since I grew up in the 60s and 70s.


In the future I will write about whether I would prefer growing up when I did or now. I think both have their merits. Have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment