Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Playing Baseball

Like most boys I played baseball as a kid along with basketball; I played sandlot football as well. I played little league baseball through eighth grade.  Because baseball was the first one I played became my first love as far as sports go as well though I didn't play in high school.  If I did things over again I would have played baseball in high school as well or tennis. Why I say tennis is because it is the best sport I am good at.  I played a lot of tennis after high school. If I knew that I was that talented at tennis I would have played it at a much younger age. I was good enough that if I started younger I could have played college and professional tennis.  I started way too late.

Playing baseball I played almost every position.  I remember one year where the coach had us play workup where we moved position to position until we came to bat. If you have played baseball you would be very familiar with workup.  I did fine until I came to pitch, and I was unable to get the ball over the plate. After walking several batters the coach took the ball and moved everyone up. 

In fifth grade during recess I played catcher, however, I was hit by the bat so I needed stitches. The last time I played catcher, and I was moved to second base.  The reason I didn't play baseball in high school was because I didn't like some of the other players on the team.  I thought later  I should not have let that bother me.  The team was very good; however, they could have used another outfielder.

When I was in seventh grade, and playing little league I was not hitting the ball very well. It was really the first time I was not doing well. The coach told me he was keeping me in the game because of my defense. At the end of the game on that day I made a diving catch to save the game. After the game another parent told me that I was stepping into the bucket which meant I was stepping toward third base, and I was unable to see the ball; after being told that I was able to hit again.


Every year we had a different parent coach our team in little league which included my dad. He was not much into baseball but he did do a very good job. In fact he really enjoyed the experience; also, I think he enjoyed spending the time with me, and my teammates.  Everyone enjoyed playing for my dad because he allowed everyone to play no matter how good or bad they were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment