Friday, June 27, 2014

Looking Back and Walking Forward



Last Monday I had a chat on line with someone I grew up with in Gig Harbor. I haven’t seen her since high school, and I found it really good to catch up with her. We not only spoke about what we have been doing since school, but spoke about school especially the early years.

Like most small towns you knew most everyone especially those in your neighborhood. She lived in the city limits of Gig Harbor while I lived on the eastside. She let me know some things she went through during elementary school years.  Though I knew that other kids had difficulties growing up as well I really only thought what I had gone through. Our conversation I believe gave healing for both of us.  I find it is easy to forgive more than it is to forget.

Sometimes it is easy to go back in your memory, and think how others thought about you. Many of the memories shaped your life, and are still part of you, however, we do need to remember in many ways we are different as well. I think about the young pre-school kid who had a hearing problem, and then his parents found out he had wax in his ears.  Going through elementary until high school he had problems ready, and not thinking very highly of himself; just like today some kids were mean as well. The summer between ninth and tenth grade this kid took a three week speed reading course; he was the only student the teach had so he got individual attention, and his reading level went up to high school level. Now the man can read at the college level.  Though the pre-school kid could never do so, the man is able to write a blog.

Looking back to the past makes you realize how far you have come forward. None of us are the same person we were when we were kids.  Though the memories shape our lives in many ways we have overcome the obstacles as well.  If we even look back to five years ago we are likely different, and in the next five years we likely will be more different as well.  It is amazing that we made it through those long tough years; however, we are stronger for it.  I find it important to think about the memories for the good things, and good people as well. Most of those I spend my time with do not know my history, but the past makes me thankful.  Now when I am in difficult times, or someone may say a unkind word I look back, and think no one can hurt me really any more.  Today’s difficulties were nothing those in the past. I have made it through to the other side.


I really hope this helps you out, and for you to remember that you are much better person. You can look back; however, you can walk forward. Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment