Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Words



There is nothing more power in our lives than words. The saying sticks and stones may hurt me but words won’t hurt me is totally wrong. I am sure most of us had words spoken to or over us as children that still affect us today. I know that in my life I still think of some words said to me. I now try not to let it affect me but that is not always easy.

I believe it is important that we think about words before speaking them or writing them. We are much better off if we can speak positive words into people instead of negative. The thing though since childhood we are so accustomed to joking or teasing others. I know that I did not being a part of a joke or being teased. I know that I am not much better than anyone else. I know that I have made fun of others myself. The differences though I have felt bad about it later while others I do not think so much.

Words can be very positive especially in music, poetry, books, movies, and theater. There is nothing like hearing music of the Beatles. So much of their music was expressing themselves about the experiences they went through. Songs like Penny Lane was about a real place. If you read the bible there are all the psalms that were written mostly by King David of Israel. In English they are best in King James translation. I do not know Hebrew but I am sure they are even more powerful. Of course, if you are familiar with Shakespeare’s writings than you know how wonderful they are. There are many other wonderful writers that I can name as well.

As far as my blog here I want to be sure to write things that will lift others up. I try to choose my words very carefully. I think of this like being a journal as well. I really enjoy writing this blog to encourage everyone along with telling stories sometimes about Gig Harbor and my childhood. I take as much out of this as well. Like my pastor says sometimes about his sermons it is like therapy for him. I feel the same thing here as well.

So I believe it is important that we think more about what we have to say than we do. It is OK to joke around but we should not make other people the butt of the jokes. We can never leave jokes out of our lives because they can so often release us. Since we get stressed out in our lives we need something to make us feel a lot better.

It is important for parents to speak with their children to encourage them not to make fun of other children. No one really likes to be a butt of other’s jokes.  I believe it happens because kids are insecure; to take things out on other kids make you feel better; at least for a time.  Parents need to always speak positive words into their children. I know some parents want their children to be just like them, or maybe the way they wanted to be.  Every child is special and they have their own unique gifts. We need to encourage them to be the best in their uniqueness.


Words can hurt us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment