Friday, February 27, 2015

Spring in February


It is true here in the northwest February is more like spring than winter. While the rest of the country like the south and the northeast are going through record snow storms. It is nothing that I have ever remembered. It is so hard to think the city of Boston has had more snow in a month than our mountains.

The first half of February especially hit record highs in Western Washington. For several days it hit a high of 61 degrees where the previous high on record was 58. The only thing that really did not change was the rain. Yes we had at least normal rain showers in February. I would say the weather was more like April. In fact we have had flowers and trees blooming as well. It will be interesting to see what the temperatures will be like in March and April.

Being spring around here so much I would have thought we would see more birds; however, it seems like they have stayed back in California or wherever south they go in the winter. Either they are confused about the weather or have not heard the weather forecast. I have a couple bird baths and I miss seeing them playing in them. I expect we will be seeing them in the next couple weeks.

The mountain passes having less snow than a normal year. It has not been a good year for skiing. The ski resorts have only been open a hand full of times. This weekend here we are expecting freezing winter weather getting down to 32 degrees at night; however, we are not expecting any rain except today which is Friday. Though the temperatures are ready in the mountains it is unlikely they will get any snow.

The rain we had the first half of February especially I thought we would have the whole year rainfall amount just in February. Luckily has not turned out this way. We have had some days where the sun decided to come out.

I am sure the east coast and the south would love to change weather with us. I knew we would have a mild winter this year but nothing like it has been. I am not really complaining except it would be nice to get a little snow. I guess we will have to wait till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment