Monday, March 2, 2015

My Niece Leslie



I have written previously about my parents, my sister and my late brother Dick. I believe family is the backbone of our lives. Our parents and siblings along with friends are the ones that shape our lives. The sad part not everyone comes from a good loving family. It is true though the best of families are not perfect. We are influenced by those that are not our friends. In fact, they are the ones that can really affect us the most if we are around them too much in a negative matter.
The reason bring that all up is to write about my niece Leslie. The purpose to write about her is for you to get to know about another member of my family and to honor her. I choose now because Tuesday March 3 is her birthday. She is oldest of my Brother Jack’s children, and she has three younger brothers. She is two years older than the eldest boy Robby and then three years between him and Ian. Danny the youngest is about two and half years younger than Ian.
Leslie and Robbie both were born in Maryland in the Washington D.C. area. When she was a little over two years old they moved to Frankfurt, Germany for a couple years and then to Minneapolis, Minnesota area; she lived till she was about eight if I remember correctly. They moved to St.Louis, Missouri where the family lived until about a year and half ago. Her parents now live in Virginia again near Washington D.C. Other words they have gone full circle. After high school she attended and graduated Harvard University. She met her husband Daniel at the university. They were married the weekend of graduation. Since a lot of family had to travel for the wedding they thought it was perfect idea. I had the honor to lead everyone attending the wedding in a prayer for Leslie and Daniel.
They spent the summer after the honeymoon with both of their families. The first two years of their marriage they traveled and both taught English at an international school in South Korea. Also, I believe Leslie taught history as well. So you can tell that Leslie has well-travelled in her life time. Besides living in Germany and South Korea she has traveled to numerous other places as well.
Now Leslie and Daniel are living in Minnesota. So she has gone full circle as well. When arriving back in Minnesota she made sure to visit the places she saw as a little girl. It had to be quite the experience. She teaches English Literature at the University Minnesota and is working at completing her doctorate in English Literature. Daniel at the same time is finishing up this year at Lutheran Divinity School. Soon the next chapter of their lives will start. They do want to stay in Minnesota. Actually Daniel life has gone full circle as well because he grew up in Minnesota.
Though I have five nephews (my sister Barb has two sons) and I love them equally Leslie is very special being my only niece. In part because I always wanted to have a daughter and she is the closest I have come to have one. Also, she stands alone being special. Besides being very smart she is very kind. I am sure anyone who meets her can see that.  The unfortunate part I have not seen her or my nephews as much as I would like because of the distance we have always lived from each other. Those who have family that live close together should cherish the time together. I hope in the future to see more of her. So one last thing Happy Birthday Leslie.    



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment