Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Leaving Something for Generations to Come


I believe more than ever we should leave things behind for the generations after us. It could be us leaving behind belongings, pictures, or just history. There are important parts of us that our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and those beyond will greatly appreciate.

My mother has pictures of her parents, and grandparents along with fellow siblings. For example, a picture of my grandmother along with great aunts and one great uncle Frank who lived to be one hundred and three years old. The picture of them as children; also, she has a picture of her father and his brother in uniform going to war in South Africa. My grandfather’s brother ended up dying in World War 1.

She also has pictures of my father’s family including his brother Bill and his two sisters along with my cousins. We have pictures of ourselves as babies along with other childhood pictures.

The one great thing about computers, and social media we are able to share them with others. They will be around for many years.

My mother has a dining room table that belonged to her grandmother that is over hundred years old. Also, she has many other belongings as well.

She has told stories of her growing up in Alberta, and going to Ottawa, Ontario during World War 2. After the War she went to Paris, France for a short period of time as well.

I have stories of my dad growing up Tacoma, and spending the summers in Gig Harbor as well as Bremerton.

I have written in this blog about both parents as well as my brothers. These things will be recorded for many generations to hear about.

Just in the last few days I have asked my mother to right down sayings that she says on some occasions. These sayings can be said at any time because she has one for every occasion. I have found them to be witty and funny. Not only have I heard them she tells other people when she is at a party or other occasions. Also, I asked her where she got these sayings. She told me that they come from books, and poetry. She has a very good memory still even though she is now ninety-four years old. I plan to write them down so her grandchildren along with great grandchildren can see them. Some of them I will share here on the blog in the future as well.

This morning I was reading an old high school annual of mine. The girls especially wrote how funny they thought I was whether it was in chemistry, history, or choir. I really enjoy to this day giving out as much humor as possible. Most of what I say just comes out at the moment. There are times I may say something funny that I heard before or said before but most of the time it is original. If you spend a good part of the time with me you will find them to be puns. Also, I am good talking like I am serious than I come out with the punch line.

I believe the most important thing for me to do is share humor with others. I think that people can be healed in their hearts with humor. These are things I would like to leave for those generations after us.

So do whatever you can that is part of you whether it is belongings or your personality. What they can know about you. In many ways this will be how we can live on forever.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment