Monday, May 4, 2015

Being a Bit Crazy


Last week I was looking at one of my high school annuals. I am not sure why except maybe to remember the kids I grew up with, and wondering what they up to now. Of course I know that most of them have now raised their own family and that some of them have grandchildren as well.

I do see a few here and there since they still live in Gig Harbor like me. It is amazing that others though are still living in the area I never see at all. A couple of gals I graduated high school with we are planning to get together this week or real soon. Also, there are some that I keep in contact through social media.

Growing up for me was not an easy thing to do. In so many ways I was behind in school. I struggled with reading and English especially and I was teased some as well.

Reading my annual the girls who wrote in it really liked my sense of humor while the guys thought I was crazy. Actually I was both things to be honest. I felt since I was required go to school I might as well be crazy some of the time especially with teasing.

With the trouble being in school my parents were glad that I stuck it out and graduated from high school. Though I did not think my parents understood me that much I have to give them a lot of credit that they allowed me to be myself. I was the middle son between two brothers who liked school and were good at it as well. They both went onto going to Princeton and Harvard so you can see where I am coming from but parents never put the pressure on me to be like them. In fact I went to public school while they both went to private school. I have been asked that a number of times why I didn’t go to private school like my brothers. I tell people it was not my thing.

Sometime later though I did go back to school at the local community college; it was amazing I actually graduated with honors. I went back though to get more skills to be more employable. I took classes in business, english, math, accounting, and computers. Also, I took a class in typing figuring it was an important skill which really helps especially doing this blog. I was surprised that I was at the top of the class in typing. I just wanted to be Ok.

This last Saturday my younger brother Jack mentioned me going back to school. He actually surprised me by coming to my graduation. He said it was honor to see me graduate, and seeing other older students especially single mothers go back to school.

The whole thing is to find out we can still accomplish things we never thought we ever could. If you have to I do recommend adults to go back to school. Also, it is important to act crazy once in a while. We get so busy in our lives it is important to step out of the box once in a while.

Regardless where you are in life whether a child, adult, or older in life live as yourself; other words do not let other people dictate who you are whether they are your parents, teachers, brother, sisters, friends, and peers. My advice since life is short is being you whatever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment