Friday, May 1, 2015

Happy May Day


Welcome to the month of May everyone. I am not sure the original meaning of May Day; however, I am sure most countries have a tradition.

Here in the Seattle area there is the opening of boating season as a tradition. I am not sure for how long but it has happened as long as I have been around. On Saturday the University of Washington will have crew races happening. They have several universities here to participate including one from England most likely. The races will happen on Lake Washington in Seattle where a lot of boats will be there to watch. This year it will be nice because the weather is supposed to be really nice.

My dad used to be in sail boat races as long as I remember as well on May Day weekend. Sometimes we would go with him. We had at least one sailboat all the time that allowed one sailor to go out in it so either my brothers or I would go out and sail.

Some weekends throughout the spring and summer we would go out into Puget Sound. Seeing Seattle and Bremerton along with Vashon and Bainbridge Island; I was more of a fair weather sailor unlike my dad. He would go out sailing no matter what where I preferred it being sunny and windy.

I remember once where we going to Bremerton I believe from Seattle. My dad said that we would eat as soon as we arrived to our destination. It was not very windy that day so it took some time to arrive. Every once in a while I would complain by asking when we would arrive because I was hungry. Dad would never give me the answer. I have to say that was not a fun day.

Today in Seattle they are going to have protests. I am sure it has to do with what happening in Baltimore along with Missouri. I hope it will be orderly and no riots. I do not mind small protest groups but I do not like large ones. I wonder if some people just do not have anything better to do. Mainly I do not like big groups because it usually holds up traffic, and riots more likely will occur. They have the right to protest but they need to think about others as well. I hope it does not become a May Day tradition though.

May is a special month for me because my birthday is in a couple weeks. So ahead thank you very much. Also, it means that summer is not far off, and we can see pretty flowers.

Enjoy your May Day with all the tradition and pleasantries.

No comments:

Post a Comment