Friday, May 1, 2015

Lovely Dinner


Wednesday Night went out to dinner with my mom to someone’s home who goes to my mother’s church. Her pastor felt it was important to together with other members of the church in their homes. They had designated homes to go to.  

The hostess was someone she had known since she was a little girl. I had known her and the family growing up. Mom used to take her to school because the hostess went to the school my mother taught at in Tacoma. The hostess is five years older than me so I knew she was though did not spend a lot of time except admiring her.

The hostess did have a younger sister who was about a year older than me. She went to another school than me and her sister. I knew her much better, and thought she was quite cute as well. Also, had some other siblings older than the two of them as well; an older sister used to play the organ in the church for several years.  She actually still plays the organ at a Lutheran church in Gig Harbor.

The hostess and her husband live in Crescent Valley which is northeast of Gig Harbor. It is a lovely area nearby where I grew up. In fact, my little league team was made up of mainly kids living in Crescent Valley. There were only a few of us that did not live in Crescent Valley.

My brother Jack used to ride his bike down through Crescent Valley. I had my cub scout meeting at one of my friend’s home in Crescent Valley. The place is still very beautiful, and made up of several farms along with some nice homes. Other than adding a road that goes east up the hill to what is called Sea Cliff, and a fire station next to that road nothing has not changed at all. I expect nothing will change for many years to come.

Our little league baseball games were right on the edge of Crescent Valley at the city park. Now that there are more parks in Gig Harbor they now call it Crescent Creek Park. Yes there is a creek that goes through that starts at the park and goes through Crescent Valley. It starts at the edge of the harbor. Crescent Valley starts at the top of the hill from the park, and you make a left. Going right you would than go into our old neighborhood. Until you go to our old house the road is called Crescent Valley Drive.

There also is a road that you can turn right on as well at the bottom of hill next to the park. Growing up we had no street addresses only route numbers which changed several times before street address came along. My brothers and I called the road at the bottom of the road the low road and Crescent Valley drive the high road. I still call them the same today. At the end of the low road is a boat launch. Just before it you take a left that goes up to Crescent Valley Drive (high road). I used to walk to the park a lot on the high road and my friend Gary lived on the high road just passed the meeting of the roads of the low and high road. Take a left and his house was only a few feet away. The house looks a bit different now but the yard looks basically the same.

Back to the dinner; the guests I did not know at all or very little. Including ourselves and the hostess there was a total of ten of us. The dinner was delicious including salad, the main course, and dessert. I would say no restaurant could out do a better job than the cooking of the hostess. In fact the host said that he has a hard time eating other salads when he goes out because they are not as good as his wife’s.

We all agreed at the end of the evening it was a lovely dinner as well as very good company. Also we agreed that we could easily come back every Wednesday night for dinner. If the church has a plan for more dinners out we know for sure whose house we will sign up to go to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment