Monday, June 8, 2015

One of the Best Weekends in Town


The weather in the northwest was one of the best I have seen especially in June over the weekend. The temperatures were in the mid to upper 80s. People were out and about all over the place whether by land or water.

My hometown of Gig Harbor had its annual Maritime Festival. It has been going on since I was in high school. Originally it was called Harbor Holidays; however, because of some trouble going on the name was changed to Maritime Festival. Not so much trouble since the name change.

The Maritime Festival happens the first weekend of June whether sunshine or rain. This time of the year the rain is quite common but not this year. The festival begins with the Maritime Parade at 10 am on Saturday and goes until around noon. There are floats, bands, churches and businesses that participate in the parade. Other words it looks like most parades that you would attend. I will show a few pictures to give you an idea how many people showed up. I believe this year may have had the largest attendance ever because of the weather.

I love going to the parade because I figure to run into someone I haven’t seen in a while. This year was no exception I saw Dave who I grew up and attended school from elementary through high school. We played against each other in little league baseball and sang in high school choir. It was great to catch up with him. Also, I love seeing babies and little kids. Of course, the weather made even more spectacular.

In the afternoon on Saturday they had blessing of the fishing fleet that goes up to Alaska along with music and food. The festival finished up with more music and food on Sunday. Next I will show some pictures of the parade and the fishing boats. I believe you can agree that there are not many places more beautiful than Gig Harbor and the northwest when the sun comes out. Enjoy pictures.
Part of the crowd in middle of Gig Harbor before the parade begins.
 
 
 
 
The police car  starting off the parade
 
 
 
 
The first participates after the police car
 
 
 
Star Wars had to show up of course
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
I had to show a picture of a little girl
 
 
 

 
 
 
A canine friend who participated in the parade
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
The fishing boats in the blessing of the fleet
 
 

 
The funniest one in the parade that I was unable to get a picture of was a goat that was riding in a truck. I wish I could have gotten his picture.
Everyone have a really good week. Come to Gig Harbor when you have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment