Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Believing in Miracles


 Depending on where you come from or your religion makes up whether someone believes in miracles or not. How people define a miracle can be different as well. In third world countries where they believe strongly in spiritual things see more what they call miracles than in the developing countries like the United States. In the developing countries they would explain that a miracle is really not one at all just an event happened that they can’t explain while third world country a person would know it is a miracle.

I have to say though I haven’t seen too many miracles in my life. It is possible that I may not be looking for them either. I do though believe miracles can happen even if I haven’t seen many them myself. Something I would call a miracle is where someone survives a bad car accident where the vehicle is so damaged it is hard to believe anyone would survive. Another example of a miracle would be where someone was close to death or may even had died but came back alive. Often someone was healed from a disease I would call that a miracle.

I knew a girl who I graduated from high school with had a brain tumor and she was in a coma for two years. She was nineteen when she went into the coma and no one really knew she would survive or not. I only heard it second hand so I am not sure how she survived the coma; however, after the two years she came out of the coma she was blind. Up to this day she is still blind but surviving the coma I would call a miracle.

I knew another young man at the time who was a friend of my young brother Jack who was in an accident while fishing in Alaska. He fell off the fishing boat I don’t remember right now but I think he was hit by something on the boat. He was in the hospital for some time as well. When he was released from the hospital he was slow in speech. I know that because I saw him only a few days after being released from the hospital. His memory was in a place where he had to learn how to speak all over again. It took him some time; however, he did eventually returned to being normal. If you saw him today you would have no idea what happened to him unless he told you his story. I would call that a miracle as well. It was something you can’t really explain how he survived.

The next miracle I know and the last one I will write about is very personal since it actually happened to me. When I was four years old I was burned while cooking an egg on the stove. Yes I was the one cooking the egg. My pajamas caught on fire and I ended up with a scar on my chest and my right arm pit. What really made it a miracle my sister was in the living room not far away from me, and she shouted where my mother was able to hear her and came to my rescue by smothering my pajamas then my father drove me to the hospital in Tacoma. A major part of the miracle is that if my mother had not gotten to me at the right time I may have burned on my face as well. It may have only been a second or two longer where that may have happened. I was in the hospital for six weeks with a temperature around 104. I am sure my parents were not sure if I would survive or not. I consider it a miracle; however, it was not the end of the story.

After I returned home from the hospital I had boils on my chest. My mother had to try to clean the boils every day while I would scream. I am not sure how long it was; however, it was in June so our family would always go to Twanoh State Park. It was a tradition we did for many years growing up. Anyway this one time there was a waiting pool that little kids like me could go into. Mother says that I was heading for the pool but figured I would not go in because I was afraid of water and would scream each time she bathed me. Not only did I walk into the pool I walked out and no longer did I have the boils. This would be called a miracle in my mind as well. It was something that could not be explained by anyone. What I just written I don’t remember the experience at all. I don’t remember being burned or going to the pool. I was told it all by my mother. Another thing is if my mother says something about my burn and my sister is there you can see in her face like the experience happened just like yesterday. Though I don’t remember she does. Someday I will have to talk with her about it.

So I can say miracles are around us a lot but we don’t recognize them as such. I am sure we have all had experiences in our lives that I would define as a miracle. Like I say a miracle is something happens that we can’t explain most of the time; however, I am sure things do happen that can be explained but I would still call them a miracle.

In many ways we are all miracles. How we came to be and where we are right now is a miracle so think of yourself as a miracle. Our lives can be much richer that way. So tell a family member or a friend that they are a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment