Monday, August 3, 2015

Meeting New Friends


I believe there is nothing better to do in live than meet new friends unless it is seeing old friends who can catch up on.

Last week I had breakfast with two old friends from high school at new popular restaurant. It was really good to find out what they have been up to for last many years. One of them I had not seen since high school and the other I have seen three times this year but had not seen prior to this year. We met together because one of them was in town on vacation and wanted to see some old friends. It is interesting to see how people are, and look different after all these years along with maturity and possible change of personalities that you remember anyway.

When it comes to meeting new friends it usually happens at local coffee shop I go to almost every day, out walking around the harbor, or grocery shopping. When it comes to walking I see some of the same people each time so it is really cool to think of them as friends even though it real casual. In most cases don’t even know their names which fine with me.  If you haven’t seen them around for a few weeks you ask what they have been up to. Many times they have been on vacation somewhere and just got back so learn where and what they did during the vacation. Some have dogs as well so you get to know them as well.

In the coffee shop I see a lot of the same regulars who come in each day as well. I know some friends outside of the coffee shop scene sort of wonder why I go in every day. I don’t drink regular coffee I usually get a latte or a smoothie. I consider good conversation with good people, and I find it cheap entertainment compared to going to a movie or a ball game which maybe an alternative.

This last Saturday I spoke with a young man who works as a cashier at the grocery store I usually shop at. We started chatting at the coffee shop because he came in because he was two hours early for work. His name is Anthony, and he is very mature for his age I think anyway. He is quite thoughtful about his surroundings especially with talking with customers while checking out their groceries. He is saving money to take a trip to Europe next some with a friend of his. They plan to go for like two months, do some juggling, and other street acts for people. He had a pad on him. I asked him about it and he showed me some of his drawings. He is quite a talent; I told him he should look into doing it for a living. He said he might but likes just doing it for now. He hopes to figure out what he wants to do in the future while in Europe as well. He doesn’t plan to go back to school until he figures out what he wants to do. I told him he should do something with his art since he is so good at it. He says he plans to write a novel with the drawings included.

Yesterday I spoke with an attracted young woman who had her sixteen month old daughter with her. We didn’t have very long to talk but I enjoyed it thoroughly especially with the cute daughter who was doing a little talking herself, and playing around in the basket.

Those were two examples why I like meeting new friends during the day. I figure if I can meet and talk with one new person a day the more we will both benefit from it. Who knows we may see each other again, and strike up another conversation. Anthony I know I will see again because he works at the grocery store. We will be able to say hello at a new level because we got to know each other on Saturday.

We all have a purpose in life; mine is to meet people every day, and I hope to make a change in their lives as well as mine. We can learn so much from other people that make us a better person. I know it is not for everyone but I would take the risk if you have the opportunity. The worst thing can happen is they tell you to buzz off but most will enjoy talking. If you want to know how to start the conversation just say hello. They may start the conversation themselves or you can ask them what their plans are for the day. Always good to have a new friend even if it only for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment