Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Always Having Fun With Family


I finally got see my brother and his family yesterday Aug 4. I first had breakfast together with my brother, sister in-law, mother, and niece. The boys were not up yet so saw them a little bit later on. I actually went with my brother right after breakfast to run some errands. Thought we talk almost every weekend there is nothing like doing it in person.

We went back to my apartment for a few hours relaxing, and catching up with each other. Midafternoon my brother, niece, nephews and I went out kayaking in Gig Harbor. It was a really great time being out on the water on a nice day. The temperature was not as hot as we have been having for the summer. The sun was out; however, the temperature was in the mid-70s.

Besides the time out on the water with them I really liked seeing the homes, and boats at a different view. When I drive or walk I am able to see the homes on the east side pretty good for front view; however, it is even better by water. There are even a couple houses that are under construction right now as well. I couldn’t see them by land so I didn’t know they were even there. The homes on the east side are very close together so I can’t really see any more homes being built on the east; however, like you can say if there is a will there is a way. I don’t really want to living in a house that is so close to another but that is what’s happening now.

The homes on the east side in the most part very large. When I was growing up on the east side the homes were smaller and not so many of them either. The real small houses that are actually still there were used by those who owned them on the weekends and in the summer. In fact, the house I grew up in was just a cabin before I was born. My dad grew up on in Tacoma and came out primarily in the summer to Gig Harbor. So when I was very small my dad enlarged the place into a real home.  The house is still the same today on the outside. The current owner has done some work inside the house.

The west side which is where downtown Gig Harbor is has a lot more homes than the east side. The west side was settled first before the east side had homes built on it. The homes on the west side are not nearly as big either. The homes near the water front on whether east or west is very expensive. Most of the homes in downtown have been there for many years even before I was born.  There are some newer homes but many of the older homes have been remodeled.

I am not sure what plans we have today. We may go to the Hood Canal to see Cushman Dam. My grandfather was the chief engineer when the dam was constructed in the 20s. It is the dam that powers Gig Harbor and Tacoma along with all the other adjoining town and cities in the area.

On Thursday the plan will be going to Seattle by ferry. We will be celebrating my mother’s ninety-fifth birthday coming up in September.

So whether you go by water or land this area is more beautiful than any place I have been too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment