Thursday, September 10, 2015

Another Loss


On Tuesday September 8 I heard about Rex who I grew up in Gig Harbor, Washington with who died in northern California from drowning. I first met Rex in first grade class and we went all the way through twelfth grade together. He was quite the character, and he was always into having a good time. Also, he was a very good athlete, and played on the high school tennis team.

It was quite the shock to hear about his passing especially since I made a post on line to him last Saturday. He was about to start another season of catching scrimp after having a short vacation. He had been out most of the summer on the boat he made his living on. No one really knows what happened to him. He was reported missing earlier by a fellow he worked with on the boat. I guess we will never know exactly how he died; however, everyone in Gig Harbor won’t forget him. His dad actually was one of the many mayor’s Gig Harbor has had over the years. When his dad was mayor it wasn’t really a paying job like it is now. I am not sure if it was even an elected position back then. I am sure what years but probably late 50’s or early 60’s. Rex told me a few years ago the mayor job paid $1 a year, and the city still hadn’t paid his dad that $1.

I haven’t seen much of Rex over the years like many of my classmates but he will be always remembered in my heart. He isn’t the first to die in my class, and I know many more will go before my time I think. The thing is none of us really know how much time we have on this earth. It is the mystery of it all, and we must make the best of it we can. I hope to be around another thirty years or so to make a difference in other people’s life. It is what I have called our purpose or destiny. So I have to say Rex made a difference in many people’s life, and that is what is best thing of all, and everyone will remember his smile most of all, and how he was with the ladies. He could charm them a whole lot. I which I had that same talent; I do to some degree but I am too nervous or shy to do much about it. I can flirt too some degree; however, it is usually with women especially the younger ones that I figure I have no shot with anyway. A woman that I am interested in would be where I stand like a statue. Of course, if I knew they were interested in the better.

When you think about someone you know passing away regardless of the circumstance it does put some fear in you no matter how much faith you have even when believing that when you die you will go into the presence of God.  In my mind not knowing the time when I will die. I believe I will be around for a whole long time because I do believe God has a whole more for me to do but the question is still there.
So in the end let’s do what we can do with the time we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment