Friday, September 18, 2015

Driving You Crazy


Usually I write about being positive; however, once in a while you have to write about something that drives you crazy or at least makes you shake your head, and this is the time.

The insurance companies say that Seattle has the worst drivers around. Seeing some of the people who drive around Gig Harbor I can only imagine how people drive in Seattle.

Two of the local television stations are doing stories on traffic, and how it can get a lot better. I haven’t watched either one; however, one answer would be to get the bad drivers off the road. Just kidding we know that won’t happen.

I have talked to those who have lived and driven in larger cities like San Francisco who say that we don’t know how bad traffic can be. One thing I know for the amount of people living in Seattle and the adjoining areas the traffic should not be as bad as it seems to be. I see part of the problem is how those who designed the roads were not thinking correctly, and how the roads are made. On Interstate 5 you have cars entering and existing at the same spot. Not only is that dangerous and I am surprised there are not more accidents drivers do not know how to merge. So it slows down the traffic to some degree with merging. Another issue with it is that when one driver slows to lower speed the next driver feels they have to slow even to a lower speed so eventually everyone is driving about ten miles an hour or they are stopped. Now you can see why I am crazy about drivers; however, there is more.

Interstate 5 and the highways have what are called HOV lanes. They are lanes that only cars with at least two occupants can drive in. In theory it sounds good; however, here most cars have one occupant in them the driver. Though it would be nice to have more occupants in a car it just doesn’t happen around here no matter what the politicians think should happen. Just happened on highway 405 the state decided to charge drivers money if they are single occupant and want to drive in the HOV lanes. I think it is ridiculous, should get rid of the HOV and let everyone drive in those lanes. Of course, the state makes all kinds of excuses on why they should charge for single drivers.  My advice is too charge or a better term ticket those who are driving slow in the lanes that are supposed to be for those who are going the speed limit. Most of the highways and freeways have one lane of HOV lanes. I could say more about this but it isn’t worth it. LOL.

So closer to home here in Gig Harbor; last week two drivers that were in front of me making a left turn into the same shopping center I was going into decided to turn quickly in front of an ambulance that had its lights flashing. The first car I was surprised to some degree but OK even though illegal; however, the second car went to which surprised me even more, and left very little room for the ambulance. I am even sure the ambulance driver had to put on his break a little bit. He could have caused an accident and for sure was illegal. All the driver had to do was wait no more than ten seconds before going. In fact, I would say less because I didn’t have to wait ten seconds before I turned behind the ambulance. Of course I shook my head with unbelief.

A couple days later a car was coming out of a side street onto a main corridor. Just like the case of the ambulance he just missed the car that was coming toward him. Again why could he not wait for ten seconds before going? I guess driver’s time is more important than the possibility getting into an accident and causing bodily damage to the other driver or himself.

Another issue that is even more upsetting or at the very least makes me shake my head is how people drive in the shopping center. I am not sure about anywhere else; however, in Gig Harbor drivers don’t pay attention at all. I have to drive defensively at all times in the shopping centers because a lot of other drivers do not stop. If I am driving straight passed the McDonald’s other drivers coming off the right where they have parked either come way out to see or they don’t stop at all. It is like they don’t think anyone else is there. It is so bad that I believe it happens each time I am there.

OK now I have finished telling you my frustration, and it makes me a little better too. So now you be careful if you come to Western Washington and drive. So I end this with have yourself a wonderful weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment