Tuesday, September 29, 2015

There Is No Place Like Home


Though I would love to travel the world wide and the seven seas there is still no place like home.

If I were to win the lottery the next step would be to start traveling around the world; however, I know at some point I would have to return home for some rest and relaxation for the very least.

My dream job right now would be to get a traveling job where I could write about the places I visit. I would love to tell you where I have been and what I am doing in those places. In the end though home is where the heart lives.

I know some have moved away where they grew up because of a job or the person they met while going to college. In fact, they may have moved away because they were tired of the rain or something else entirely; however, the heart is still for home.

My sister and brother have lived elsewhere longer than they did in Gig Harbor; however, when someone asks them they say Seattle. Very few know about Gig Harbor unless you have visited here or you have read my blog for some time. My brother and his family visited in August; I could see that for my brother it was such joy to come back home. My sister will be coming for a visit soon, and I am sure the same look will be on her face.

Gig Harbor does not look the same exactly as when we were growing up; however, the memories are hard to forget. In the neighborhood we grew up our house is one of the few still standing. I hope to find some old pictures that I can show here. Our house looking west had glass windows all the way across where we could see one end of the harbor to the other. It was really great scene to see and show people when they came over for a visit. I thought it would be nice to have a nice outside balcony; however, our father never build one. The current owner has a balcony out there now so seating outside has to be such a great thing of beauty especially in the summer months.

Now that October is about to arrive we will have still some very nice days; however, I expect some rain will start falling. I remember as a kid playing football at the local park, and the days it really rained hard my brothers and I would play board games and cards. In the early evening after dinner I would go out and shoot baskets with my basketball. I would pretend that I was playing for the Seattle Supersonics team and we would beat the Boston Celtics each time. They were the NBA champions back in the day. Getting dark early in the evening was the hard part. I stayed out as long as I could before mother would ask me to come in for bed. Those were the days and made Gig Harbor the place to be. I am sure everyone has their stories of home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment