Friday, October 9, 2015

A Proud Son



Usually we work as children to be the best we can be so our parents will love us and be proud of us.
Today I want to say that I am proud of my mother. On Sept. 18 she turned 95 years of age. This week our local paper did a story on my mother and Ginny Smith who turned 96 about their birthday party at the Tacoma Narrows Airport restaurant. Ladies from Bon Appetite that my mother belongs celebrated and gave honor to these two lovely ladies; a helicopter pilot took the two for a twenty minute ride. When my mother got home she said that she had the best birthday party ever because she took the helicopter ride. She told me that she could see far as Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The weather was really nice so I am sure she could see a long ways that early evening.
Seeing her picture I am sure it is hard for you to believe that she is 95 years old. Also, let you know she does not act like it either. She does walk slow and uses a cane most of the time; however, she does get along better than most people ten years younger or more. Around the house, and where she needs to walk further she does use a walker as well. When she is in the grocery store she uses a grocery cart primarily to keep her balance.
Last winter she came down with the flu for almost a month along with an injury to her left leg. Up until this week I took her into the wound clinic at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Tacoma. She now is feeling very good, and hopes not to return anytime soon with another injury. While having the flu she did come down with depression because she was unable to do her normal activities like going to Bon Appetite, book group, and playing bridge. She now has recovered and does those things on a regular basis. When she was depressed she talked about dying but wanted to see my brother, his family, and my sister. She wanted to stay around long enough to do so. I could understand her feeling though I had never seen her feel that way before, and talked to her about not letting the thoughts to get her. That period lasted for about two weeks, and since that time she has not talked that way again. She had a great time with my brother’s and family visit in August, and looking forward to my sister’s visit at the end of this month. Now she feels that she can stay around for a while. Who knows maybe she will make to one hundred years old in five years. I would not put it past her at all; however, none of really know how much time we have left.
I am a proud son because she makes it every day, and looks forward to any new adventures like the helicopter ride. Her mind is in pretty good shape as well. Sometimes she forgets what day it is but that is sort of normal especially someone her age, and being retired. She plays bridge at least twice a week, and reads books still which includes for her book group. She was driving up until just after her birthday. Mostly she was driving during the day time on short outings while at night her friends would pick her up for her activities. I know it was not easy for her to give up the driving of her car but it is the best thing for her and everyone so no one has to worry about her.
I know it can’t be easy for her since many of those around her age, and my father is gone to go one but she does so faithfully. Though we haven’t always had a smooth sailing relationship I can say it is the best right now. People say I am a good son taking care of my mother; however, she has made it pretty easy most of the time. There are those times like in all relationship; however, they are very infrequent. Any way Mom proud of you and look forward to see you stay around for a few years.



No comments:

Post a Comment