Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Always Friends


This week I am going to memorial services of two students that I grew up with here in Gig Harbor. One passed away in an accident while the other died of cancer. It is so sad to think of two guys who I knew growing up are no longer with us.

I don’t feel that old yet to lose anyone that I knew growing up. I understand about losing someone who died in an accident because that happened even when I was in school, and early adulthood but someone dying of cancer is something so much different. I have had some health issues so reality sets in that things like this can happen, and none of us know how many years we have in this life but when it comes to health you think more like in your seventies at the very least. Five years ago I lost a cousin, and my brother-in-law to death in health issues so it does come to mind but I hope it happens very infrequently.

To say all this is that at the memorial services I will see quite a few people that I grew up with, and I realize now though I have not seen many of them for a number of years they are friends for a life time. I have been out of school longer than I was in school but I still think of them all still as friends. We will talk about the good old days especially the two friends no longer with us. I will find out about each one that I can get to what they have been doing since high school, and about those who can’t be there.

The most unusual thing is that we are all much older, and everyone looks different some more than others. I am sure in one manner what they were like when we were growing up, and now they are now today.

My graduating class we have had only a couple reunions so most of them I have not seen for many years. I hope to be able to get some of their information so I can keep in touch with them. A couple of ladies I did have a mini-reunion last April which was really nice. We talked about events that happened in our childhood some I did not even know about, their families, and what they are currently doing. Also, we talked about some others who we knew including those who are no longer with us.

I find very comforting to talk with others I knew and their stories; however, I wish I could spend more time with them, and that we would be part of each other’s lives.

I feel so fortunate that the two guys that I am going to their memorial services I saw in the last couple years. It was so nice to meet them as adults and to know them in a new way. I was on social media with both so I had some idea about their lives but meeting in person is so much better.

I believe it is so important that we keep in touch with those who are our friends whether we do only so often. One of the reasons I go into the coffee shop that I attend so I hope to run into some friends from a long time ago, and catch up with them. Actually there are some I see a few times every year; however, I would like to see them more often. I really am a person that enjoys having friends, and in my mind spend as much quality time as possible.

I find strange or maybe weird whenever I go to a party as soon as everyone is finished eating the party is over. It is like OK we finished eating so time to go. I am sure in other cultures or countries it is not the same. So I guess we have to talk a lot before the food comes because when the food is eaten time is done. I guess if you haven’t figured it would yet I am a social butterfly who enjoy everyone’s time.

I am going to enjoy everyone I meet even those who are my first time friends mainly because we do not know how many more times we will see people. I know I will never see these two guys again in this life but I hope and plan to see a lot of them in the next life. Anyway enjoy your friends even those who you have known your whole life but you have not seen them in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment