Friday, October 30, 2015

A Scary End to October


I know this could be an unusual title depending on where you live and whether you celebrate Halloween.

This is where the title comes from is Halloween being celebrating on Saturday Oct. 31. It is a holiday like only a few others where you don’t get a day off from work. In fact, if you are working it is good time to wear a costume to work. I am sure many work places allow wearing a costume for Halloween. I have a feeling since this year lands on a Saturday most work places will celebrate today on Friday. I know where I previously worked they gave out prizes for the best costume, most creative costume, and the scariest costume; If you win all three than you have one great costume.

Here in Gig Harbor, Washington some of the kids still trick or treat in their neighborhoods; however the kids gather downtown to show off their costumes and have a very good time along with getting treats. This did not happen when I was growing up but it is a really good idea. I enjoyed wearing my costume to school as well. There is nothing better than showing your costume off. I am sure with a new Star Wars movie coming out this will a popular year for Darth Vader and Princess Leia costumes. We can say once again “The force be with you”.

We do find out that almost every year the costumes usually are based on whom or what is popular that year. I know when I was a kid I wore a cowboys outfit one year. It was the time of Bonanza and the Lone Ranger among the shows on TV. Of course, every young boy wanted to be a cowboy unless you are Native American that is.

I know that some people care to not celebrate Halloween at all because they feel it is evil. We do know that many costumes over the years have represented evil like witches and goblins; however, Halloween in itself is not a holiday that is supposed to be celebrating evil. In the beginning when Halloween was celebrating it was called “All Hallows Eve”. It was a celebration by the Christians to remember those who had died especially those who were martyred for the cause of Christ. Like most of the holidays of today it is no longer celebrating in its original form.

I know that there are some will say it is too commercialized, pagan, and it is for the satanic to bring out their agenda. This could be true; however, I see that we should all celebrate Halloween in the spirit of the holiday. Let the children enjoy their time, and if you must celebrate in the original manner if you are a Christian for those were martyred for Christ. Most of all be happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment