Monday, October 26, 2015

Having Good Times


I really enjoy writing about growing up along with encouraging everyone. It is so nice to remember all the good times of the past and looking forward to making new ones. I believe everyone should write down all their experiences through life like I have been doing whether they publish on line like I do or for themselves. It is really nice for your children and their children to know what you have gone through in your life.

I have been trying to have my mother write down so many things in her life especially the early years before any of my siblings and I was born along with before meeting my father. I have written somethings about her life and I will continue to do so.

The important thing is what our parents and grandparents went through can shape our lives very much so. I know that many of them went through some hardships as well as having good times in the same way we have. In many cases they went much harder times than we have, and can really help us when we go through some ourselves. This really will really help our children and grandchildren too.

My parents grew up in the 20s and 30s so they through the depression which was hard on most. My mother grew up in Edmonton, Alberta Canada while my dad grew up in Tacoma, Washington USA. I get a different perspective from both them. My mother’s father was a banker who had to deal with people trouble making payments, and he had to foreclose on many of them. Also, because of the family finances he had to work into his 70s before retiring. He died in his late 70s so he wasn’t able to enjoy retirement as long as I am sure he wished he could.



 My dad’s father worked for Tacoma Power Company, and he helped build Cushman Dam. He grew up in England, and he came to United States after finishing college. He first worked at the Bremerton Naval Shipyard before going to Tacoma Power. He had a successful career before he retired. Also, he died in his late 70s. He lived with my family when I was born until his death. His wife though died when I was thirteen months old so I didn’t get to know her at all.

Having parents from two different sides of the track as I would call it; my mother from Canada and my father from United States gives me a different perspective from other kids. I am sure the same goes for everyone else to some extent.

Here in Gig Harbor some of the kids I grew up with their fathers were fisherman and they had grown up in Gig Harbor themselves. In many cases their mothers were from Gig Harbor as well. They knew each other since they were children. There were others that families moved in from nearby Tacoma or came from other parts of the country. So we had mixed of families; however, there were no blacks and only a few other minorities like Native Americans, Mexicans, and Asians. Most of the blacks, and other minorities lived in Tacoma. Now there are more minorities; however, whites are still the majority by a long ways in Gig Harbor. I am not sure that will change any time soon.

Anyway back to having good times. I know growing up it was not always easy because kids always like picking on other ones. I know I certainly was picked on plenty of times. I am sure everyone has at one time or another even if they are the ones does the picking most of time. I am sure it has been going on since the beginning of time and will continue to the end of time.

My conclusion here is that we are influenced by our parents, siblings, and those we were our friends or maybe enemies when growing up we have to choose to have good times despite the circumstances that may come into our lives. We especially have to remember when things are not going so well for us.

I hope that I don’t sound like I am preaching at you I want to be encouraging. So have a good week and decide to have some good times as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment