Wednesday, October 21, 2015

How is Your October?


I am sure everyone has had some good days, and not so good days this October. Two weeks ago I had to attend two memorial services of guys that I grew up with, and I heard last week the passing of another. I was happy to see old friends and classmates; however, I wish the circumstances were different. What really showed is that life is short and unpredictable along with us making the best of everyday.

October brings shorter and colder days. Here in Gig Harbor the sun rises around 7 am now, and the sun sets around 7 pm. I have to note is when we do have sun that is. We have some still real nice days like yesterday when it was warmer and the sun was out most of the day. On the other hand the rain, wind, and cloudy days have returned as well. It is nice to see the leaves change color, and the grass is back to its familiar green color.  We have had little rain since February the return of it has made most here very thankful and glad. I am sure when next February comes we will be wishing for more sun again. What is expected is another mild winter though with little snow expected; however, we can hope the mountains will have more than last year. This will be the third I believe mild winter in a row. Makes me wonder what kind of winter we will have when it is no longer mild.

If you an avid baseball fan like me October means the playoffs, and the World Series coming up. The Seattle Mariners had a very disappointing season especially when most expected a very good season. In fact, most experts and non-experts expected them to make the playoffs, and possibly play in the World Series. The Mariners did not make the playoffs for the fourteenth straight years as we have been reminded, and the general manger plus the manager have both been fired along with most of the coaches. The team has let go other personnel, and retained some as well. During the off-season we expect a change in some of the players. There will be some released, and others trade away. The Mariners have hired a new general manager, and a new manager should be named in early November.

Of course, October means that football is being played as well. On the high school level the season is more than half over, and playoffs should be going on in November while college football has one month to go before bowl games happen in December and January. October means basketball will be starting, and we can’t forget hockey has already begun especially for our Canadian family and friends.

October means everyone getting ready for the holidays. Halloween is coming up at the end of the month. I know that some celebrate Halloween while others don’t care or believe in it. Here in Gig Harbor parents can take their kids downtown for celebration wearing their costumes. Some kids still go out trick or treating; however, I have not seen many doing so the last few years. It all depends on the neighborhood you live in. I remember really enjoying going trick or treating. I do not remember now what I was wearing at the time except I know one year I went as a cowboy.

Halloween also means carving a pumpkin, and the beginning of having pumpkin pie. Now with lattes you can add pumpkin or egg nog into your drink. So it all means to us the beginning of another holiday season with all the traditions included. I enjoy seeing the little children wearing their costumes, and getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas. For our Jewish friends it will be Hanukkah. I can’t forget the Muslims, and the other religions who will be celebrating the holidays in their fashion though I am not so familiar with theirs.

October we thank you for another wonderful month though we do go through some struggle. The most important thing is to be thankful for each day we are able to open our eyes, listen with our ears, the beating of our hearts, and taking every breath. Also, let everyone we meet that we are glad that they are still around.


No comments:

Post a Comment