Friday, December 4, 2015

December in the Northwest!


Two things most people know about Seattle and the northwest is that we have plenty of coffee and rain. It is a very true statement especially in December. Coffee we have all the time and rain we have most of the time in December.

The last couple of years we did not have much rain during December as well as November, and January which are most rainy months; however, this year November was a pretty rainy month and December has started off in the right fashion too. I am not sure of the long term forecast of rain for December; however, the five day forecast is for rain and more rain. Right now I am fine with it but I hope it changes at some point. I do hope for some sunshine like we did have in November; however, I am hoping for some snow as well. The last three years we have had only a small amount of snow. We had a trace of snow last year for one day and the year before only a couple days of less than an inch. I can say the same for the year before that so I can say we are due for a good amount of snow.

Last year even the Cascade and Olympic Mountains had very little snow and the ski season was over as fast as it started. I am sure only a few diehards even skied at all last year. This year there is some snow and a couple of the ski resorts opened a few days early though they had to use a snow blower.  

With the amount of rain we have forecasted this week the mountains will have a good supply of snow. Those I know that are humbug about us having snow keep saying “ you can drive to the mountains” this is true; however, I find it fun to have snow in my backyard even if it is only for a few days.

I do not expect a lot of snow on the ground but it would be nice to have an inch or two for a few days. If nothing else snow looks so pretty. I know most people here have a problem driving in snow especially with high hills. Right here in Gig Harbor we have four hills that go directly down into the city so snow does keep people at home most of the time. What I say though what is wrong with that for a couple days. You get to miss work or school for a couple days and your children get to have fun playing outside. Also, you can throw a few snow balls around. Where I live is pretty flat so I can get around very easy in snow though I would stay away from downtown. I know that I am smart enough not only going down those high hills but going back up them as well. I know something others do not know, and that when you go up or down you drive slow and steady. I have learned by my experience you have to drive at least twenty-five miles an hour to make it especially going uphill.  Many drivers try going slower and you will never make it. I give plenty of distance between myself and the driver in front of me since I know most will not go twenty-five and get into trouble. When I am at the bottom I start up when I know that I will make it up all the way with any trouble. One of the hills does have a stop sign part of the way up so I avoid that one for sure.

During this month of December besides shopping for presents which I try to do at a minimum I will be spending a good deal of time indoors including drinking coffee. Since I do like walking I will find some time doing so though it won’t always be easy. Of course, when I am shopping I can get extra time in for walking. I will know everything in each isle.

Right now we have one grocery store open in town so there are a lot of people you can meet and run into. When it comes to grocery shopping I only buy a few items so I don’t have to wait in line very long. I know it means I may have to shop more often but I am by my favorite coffee shop so there is really no sacrifice for me. Also, I like seeing and talking with people at the grocery store especially those I know.

So keep yourself nice and warm. If you have snow I wish I was where you are right now. Enjoy your shopping and a good cup of coffee too. Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment