Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Things Do Happen This Time of the Year


 Sometimes things happen that we don’t expect or hope will not happen. This year is no exception to it.

Growing up I often got a cold for a good week or longer during the Christmas season. I hated it because I wanted to enjoy the good times that happen. At least it happen more when I was in high school then the early years of grade school. I don’t remember all the good times however when I see pictures in those early years there is always a smile on my face. It showed me very much how this time of the year was special to me. Most of the time was spent with family and there is nothing else we can cherish is our family. Some of them are gone but not forgotten by those of us that are left behind. They are in my heart every day but I remember them especially during the Christmas season. I am sure everyone has that in their hearts about those close to them that are no longer around.

Right now I have a cold like I did back in high school. My mind because of the cold is in a weird place where I am having a hard time thinking at all. It is OK though because I do know that soon I will remember once again. What is so nice about this that I can share these thoughts with everyone who reads this and I hope that you remember those that made a big difference in your life especially this time of the year that no longer roams the earth. It can be sad in many ways however we can have joy in our hearts as well. This is what the Christmas season is all about peace and joy along with a whole lot of love.

This morning I woke up with my mother screaming because she fell over and hit her head in the bathroom. Without hesitation I moved her a few feet into her bathroom and I saw blood on the bathroom floor. I realized at that moment I could not and should not lift her up. This should be done by real professions. I did not know how much the fall affected her though she was conscience. So I called 911 to get the medics over and have her rushed to the hospital. I followed in my car to the hospital so she would have a ride hope later. Before leaving the place I called my brother Jack to let him know what had happened and I would update him later.

A couple hours later when I talked with him that she looked like she was going to be OK though she had twelve stitches planted in her head. Also, I text message some of my closest friends to pray for my mother. Also, I asked Jack to call our sister Barb to let her know what happened with mother. The whole thing is mother is now ninety-five years old and though she gets along pretty good for her age she does have to watch her balance when she gets around. She still is involved in bridge at least twice a week and goes to her church every Sunday morning. Also, she is involved in a couple other groups to so for someone her age she has a full life. With us living together helps her out to have this full and independent life. Before she was released five hours later there was a care professional from the hospital that came in to ask questions about her living situation. You see not every elderly person is lucky to have someone who loves and cares for her while she still lives in her apartment. This is the reason many are living in assistant living or nursing homes. I am not putting on any guilt trip however it is important that family take care of their love ones that are elderly if possible at all. I know sometimes this is impossible but if you can it important to do so. You see someday we may be put into the same situation and I know that I would not want to be forgotten especially those very close.

So this year Christmas will be a little different however I enjoy the fact that mother is still around. You see in our family she is the only remaining from her generation and we do not know how much longer we will have her.  In fact we do not know how much time any of us have to live. Enjoy those precious people that are close to us. I don’t feel too well right now because of the cold however I know what should be important to us. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment