Monday, December 14, 2015

What I Like About Christmas


When it comes to Christmas I figure that I am a lot like most people. At least those who celebrate Christmas that is. Also, I know those who do not confess to be Christians that many of them celebrate Christmas as well. I am sure some may only do certain things during Christmas season as well.

So here we go with what I like about Christmas. First of all I like the tradition of Christmas. Most people celebrate Christmas the same way every year. It starts with when they get their Christmas tree along with listening to Christmas music. Most of the time I prefer both of them about two weeks before December 25; there is only my mother and I so we haven’t had a Christmas Tree for the last couple years. Actually the apartment really doesn’t have room for a tree, and I have to be honest I don’t really like decorating Christmas trees any more. Growing up our family always had large Christmas trees probably about ten feet tall. It took a long time to decorate the tree though my brothers and I all did our parts. After so many years I have gotten tired in decorating the tree. Of course, if I had to decorate a tree I would but no longer a favorite thing to do. I am sure in a few years I will enjoy doing so again. I know I certainly like Christmas trees that I see all decked out. I am amazed by some of the pictures I have seen from friends on social media. They really go out of their way to do a great job and make the tree so beautiful. Along with the Christmas tree is those who put up lights and other things like snowmen in their yards. This is another tradition many people have done over the years. Our family never did much of that except put some lights out and having a Christmas reef up on the door. One of my classmates growing up his family always made and sold reefs so we would buy one from them every year. We do have a Christmas reef on our door to make it look a little like Christmas this year.

Christmas music I enjoy listening to for about two weeks though this year I decided to start listening to the music right after Thanksgiving. I primarily like the songs you hear at Church like Silent Night. It is nice though to hear the ones I seem to have listened to since I was a small boy. One of the local radio stations plays all Christmas songs throughout the month of December. Also, the stores and the coffee shops in town play the music as well.

Another thing I enjoy is going Christmas shopping. Mostly I enjoy seeing people doing their shopping. I am interested in seeing what they are getting for Christmas. Along with the shopping I enjoy seeing the children especially the small ones including the babies. I find them cute and adorable. I like them wearing their clothes for winter and Christmas season.

One thing I wish for and still dreaming is a White Christmas. We have had snow close to Christmas either just before or after but I don’t remember ever having any snow in Gig Harbor on Christmas day. I do remember very well in 1974 where we got snow the day after Christmas. At that time I was going to vocation school and working at the radio station. I had to get up early to do so and be on the air. I am not sure how much snow there was; however, I did have some trouble getting out of our yard. So I was late getting to the school but I did show up. I found it to be a great day. At least the kids were able to throw snow balls. Something I really enjoy doing when it snows.

I can dream again this year for a White Christmas; however, if the weather continues like it has been this December it will be a warm and wet Christmas. Oh well at least I can enjoy all the traditions of Christmas that I have over the years. I wish you all a Merry Christmas as well and have yourself a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment