Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Honor My Father


Today is February 2 also known as Groundhog Day. Another thing today is the 100th anniversary of my dad’s birth 02/02/1916 so I am here to honor him on this great occasion.

We always found it interesting that he was born on Groundhogs Day. We laughed about it every year almost as much as when my parents were celebrating their wedding anniversary. You see they got married on Halloween Oct. 31, 1952. I am sure they didn’t think about it at the time however they never really celebrated their anniversary because it landed on Halloween until we became teenagers.

My dad was born Herbert John Nightingale son of Richard and Beatrice Nightingale in Seattle, Washington. He was the youngest of four children Emily, Marian and William. Though he was born in Seattle he grew up in Tacoma, Washington south of Seattle. During the summer he spent time in both Bremerton and Gig Harbor where the family had cabins. Back in those days there was no bridge so the family had to go by ferry to reach Bremerton and Gig Harbor. The population was quite smaller than what it is now. The cabin in Gig Harbor later turned into a house a short time after my younger brother Jack and I were born. At that time his parents lived downstairs while we lived upstairs.

Dad graduated from Stadium High School I believe in 1934 which is still around and the oldest school in Tacoma. At that time Stadium had more students than College of Puget Sound now known as University of Puget Sound.

After high school he went to college at University of Washington for two years before going to work at Bremerton Naval Shipyard Company where he worked as a draftsman. He  went to work in the Drapery business in the late 40s until about 1987 when he retired. His business partner died a few years before my dad did and they met working at Bremerton Naval Shipyard. His experience as a draftsman helped him in the drapery business making and installing large Gym Curtains as well as Stage Curtains. I worked for my dad about twelve years. I enjoyed and learned a lot from him working all those years. I can’t say it was always easy but fun anyway.

In his early teens along with his brother William known as Bill they both fell in love with sailboats. Bill designed several different models of sailboats while my dad enjoyed racing more than Bill. Just before his death though Dad did design and build his own boat. He wanted a boat that could race fast. Unfortunately he was not able to race it as much he would have liked because of his death in June 1993. He built the boat on my property I had in Arletta, Washington which is only a ten minute drive west of Gig Harbor. He told me shortly before his death that he considered it an honor to build it on my property and want to do so he could be closer to me. It meant the world to me because he never told me often his feelings for me.

Uncle Bill and my dad built their first sailboat when he was about sixteen. It was called the 24. It was an old boat of course when I came on the scene however it was on dry dock until I was about eighteen. One of my brother Dick’s high school classmates asked while in college if he could restore the boat. My dad of course was glad for him to take the boat. The last thing I knew the boat was taken to Alaska. It was many years ago so probably gone now unless it was restored again.

Dad was a member of the Gig Harbor Yacht Club and he was a past Commodore as well. For the duty he served at the Yacht Club in his memory the sailor of year is named after him.

I have to say we had our moments like most father and sons however I have to say overall I couldn’t have had a better Father.  I have the honor being named after my dad but I am not a junior since I have a different middle name. He died on June 11, 1993 while visiting cousins in Southern France. It was almost to the day a year later after my older brother Dick died in New York City.

Tonight mother and I will be going out for dinner to honor and remember him. Dad I salute you and a day does not go by that I remember you. I look forward to the day that I see you again. Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment