Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Good Day to Stay Indoors


So far here in Gig Harbor, Washington we have had rain showers each day of the month. In fact it has rained for eleven days in a row. I heard this is the third longest this winter. Yes the most rainfall during the winter on record. Though we are accustomed to rain I have never seen it rain as hard before.

When the sun comes out it is so refreshing. Monday had a great downpour for several minutes however we had a good afternoon of sun as well in the morning before the rain.

I have been to the Caribbean and Florida where it common to have these kind of downpours but not here. Usually our rainfall is light throughout the day and stays very cloudy so it seems like rains more than it actually does. Our normal rain fall is around 40 inches per year however this year we may have 50 inches. Not really a lot when you find that the Olympic Rain Forest averages 225 inches of rain per year.

A Fork, Washington is the farthest west point town in the continental United States averages about 70 inches of rain per year. When I was twenty-one years old I spent six months living in Forks working at the radio station. Forks was a very small town then and not much to do there either especially for someone who did not grow up in Forks. Most days I was there it rained especially on my day off. Often I came back to Gig Harbor to see family and friends. Though I found Forks being an interesting place for six months I don’t miss it so much. I have gone back for a visit a couple times. It takes about three hours to drive to Forks. Maybe one of these days I will go back to Forks to see the changes that have happened. I am sure Forks is larger town than when I lived there just like Gig Harbor however I am sure still small. When I go though I will take a longer route that allows me to go along the Washington coast; there are so many beautiful places to see along the Washington coast though Oregon coast is even nicer.

Anyway staying in-doors is a good idea or go shopping. I did not go walking on Monday since I knew that a lot of rain showers were coming. Usually I walk in the morning though I could have gone out in the afternoon instead. Have to be real careful because the weather can change so fast.

Gig Harbor though does a lot of nice shops to visit or at least you can spend time in a coffee shop like I do. The thing is Gig Harbor has a lot of choices where every shopping center has at least three coffee shops. I generally go to one because of the friends I have there however once in a while I will visit another one. When it rains I find it real nice to spend time with friends.

We haven’t had a lot of snow in the last five years. I hope next year we will have a nice snow fall. The thing though I am in a real minority where most people are fine without the snow. I am fortunate to live where snow does not affect me to get out of the driveway while many others have that trouble. You see we have a lot of hills around here. I choose not to drive on those hills if I can help it. Not because I can’t drive those hills other drivers have a hard time so best to stay away from them.

So staying inside this time of the year is a real good choice. Last year though we had a really nice March where it was sunny most of the month. In fact last year we had a lot of sun for six months. We were spoiled last year for sure now more toward normal.

Though we do have rain in March it is spotty so you can enjoy a nice vacation if you choose to come. With the kids in school a lot of nice places to go including the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma. So I am going back to enjoying the indoors and I wish you a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment