Thursday, March 31, 2016

Spring Has Sprung


Now that we are moving into April and spring has arrived everyone here in Western Washington is looking forward to some sunny days.

This week we have had the temperatures in the 60s and the sunny shining bright. April 1 it is forecasted to hit 70 degrees and that is no joke. Also, it is always nice to see Mt. Rainier out in its glory to.

The temperatures were mild during the winter and we only had one day where we had a little bit of snow here in Gig Harbor. The last three winters we have had very little bit of snow which I hope changes next year.

The rainfall this year here allowed the mountains to have their normal snowfall instead of what they had the last couple years. I am not a skier however I am sure those who do were excited to get back on the slopes do their skiing.

Last September the state declared a drought because of the lack of rain in 2015 however that changed quickly in October for sure. I call it God’s sense of humor us thinking we were in a drought. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport reported around March 15 that they had forty-one inches of rain from October 1st through March 14. So in less than six months we had as much rain we have normally for a full year. So I expect that no drought will be declared this year even if we do not have another bit of rain until this October.

We are accustomed to having rain showers for a few hours a day and then clouds the rest of the day with occasional sun however these last six months it was nice in the morning but at noon until midnight we had downpours. Not something we are used to on a regular basis for sure. It was more like our rainforests.

Last year we had sunny days from February through September most of the time. I am sure it would be welcomed by everyone this year as well. Usually I go out for walks everyday so I had to either skip walking some days or go early in the morning before the downpours happened. It is easy to walk when there are showers but nothing like that. Now that the sun is out I can go out for my normal walk. I still wear a cap so I don’t get burned on my head at all. Though I do like seeing the sun around I do hope we have a few showers once in a while during the stretch of the next five or six months. The main reason is so that the grass will stay green and a bit of change of weather. What I like about living here in Western Washington we do have four seasons unlike some places that have only two.

So if you want to come for vacation to Western Washington this is a good time to come instead of waiting until summer when it will be a bit crowded. There are so many things to see and places to go around here this time of the year. You can go either boating or hiking as well. That is what’s nice here we have the Puget Sound, Cascade and Olympic Mountains to visit.

So come for a visit now and check out Gig Harbor. Who knows maybe you will run into me and be able to say hello.    

No comments:

Post a Comment