Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Using a Dictionary


I have thought about before however I have never mentioned. In fact I have to say that I have never followed through myself. I figure I really should to see how it really goes. We should all try looking up words in the dictionary. I am sure we will learn words we have never seen before and the ones we have used more meaning to them. What do you think?

I am sure we can all learn things we haven’t before and include words. One thing I am going to do now before going further here is to find an on-line dictionary. I know that I have a dictionary around here somewhere however having one on the computer makes it easier.

I figure if each of us can discover a new word every day the more we will learn. There are other things I feel the same way as well. For example learning history; we can all learn more about history as well whether it is local history or world history.

I find it is so easy to procrastinate in our lives. Oh yes there is a word you can look up to get a define definition. In fact I am going to do that right now. I am sure I will learn something for all of us. So here goes………

The main meaning of procrastinate is exactly what I thought because I am so good at it…. delay or postpone action; put off doing something. The next one I really like because it is truly me “drags one’s feet/heals. I love to do that a lot. Procrastinate is 16th century Latin pro = forward crastinate= belonging to tomorrow

Now what I did was go to dictionary.com. What option they have which is really good and fits what I am saying. They have a word of the day. So the word that came up for today which I know I never heard of is cognomen. It is Latin as well. Have three common uses 1. Surname 2. Any name, especially a nickname 3. Last name of a citizen of ancient Rome, indicating the person’s house family.    


 I have decided to add dictionary.com to my favorites. I am sure I will learn a lot especially checking on the word of the day. In the future I may use some of the words in a sentence. I scrolled down the page of dictionary.com and they show other past words of the day. None of them have I ever heard of. I am sure it will be interesting way to do this. I am going to check on some other sites.

Go ahead and see what you can do with this all. I think it will be fun as well as learning. Also, if you have children in school this would be a good way to teach them a new skill to.

All I know life is interesting and we can learn new things every day.  I hope to share new ideas in the future as well as talking about memories of the past. Of course most of all I want to encourage everyone including myself. Until next time keep your chin up.

No comments:

Post a Comment