Sunday, May 1, 2016

May Day


 Welcome to the month of May. I am sure it means something different for everyone.

For me it means that I am another year older since my birthday lands on the 17th. This day also is Norwegian Independence Day. I have an added funny story to add to this. When my nephews and niece were young my brother and his family were living in Minnesota. Anyway there are a lot of Norwegians in Minnesota so they have a parade each year in Minneapolis to celebrate Independence Day. So my brother took them all to the parade and the kids knew it was my birthday. They asked my brother if all these people knew me. They thought the parade was to celebrate my birthday which I would call it a great honor. Now whenever my brother calls me on my birthday to wish me a happy birthday he says “all the Norwegians and I wish you a happy birthday.”  Another part of it being my birthday on the 17th is my cousin Rob never forgets to wish me a happy birthday. I always wondered why he never forgets and then a few years back I found that his younger son Mike shares the same birthday with me which very special indeed.

Also in my family there are other birthdays in May as well. Actually all three of them birthdays are on May7th. My cousin Bronwen, her mother Aunt Patty and Aunt Emily; a childhood friend Howard Knickerbocker who passed away last September of cancer shares the same birthday as well. This year a classmate of mine is getting married on May 7th too.

Being May Day I am sure many people are celebrating the day in many different fashions. Here in Western Washington the weather today is going to be 80 degrees so another summer like day and I am sure people can find a parade as well. The weather won’t stay this way for long since it is supposed to rain before the end of the week. It is a celebration around here whenever the sun comes out. It is expected to be another great summer here.

A funny thing about May Day is if you are familiar with boating whenever somewhere is out on the water and needs help they send out a mayday call. Actually it is not that funny just an interesting similarity.

If you are out and about today be sure to see and smell the flowers. I am sure some are starting their gardens today to. What a beautiful time of the year. Enjoy look forward to next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment