Saturday, July 2, 2016

Holiday Weekend




We all seem to like these holiday weekends especially the three this time of the year in Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. These days all feel like a mini-vacation. Of course some people extend these off to take a true vacation.

Here in Western Washington they expect ninety thousand people to ride the ferries each of the three days. So the traffic will be busy besides wherever else people like to travel this weekend.  

I like the traditions that some families go through every year during the holidays. In our family we have a family reunion every other year. We had one last year so next year should be another one. Friends of my mother have people over to celebrate the 4th every year. She could not go last year because of our reunion but they had no trouble asking her to come this year. I am sure they enjoy watching fireworks together.

Unless something else comes up I plan to go under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge to watch the fireworks. From my apartment I can hear and see a little of three different fireworks demonstrations going off at the same time. One takes place in Commencement Bay where the city of Tacoma is at and then there is Day Island not far from Chambers Bay where the U.S. Open Golf tournament was played last year and further south is Steilacoom the oldest town in the area. Though I can’t see it I can hear fireworks from Seattle.  On July 3 Cheney Stadium the home of the Tacoma Rainiers I will be able to see fireworks after the completion of their baseball game that night.

When I was a little kid we had fireworks displayed in Gig Harbor itself but lasted only a few years. I believe they couldn’t afford to put them on any longer. Our dad would take us out in sailboat into Commencement Bay to view fireworks. So we enjoyed being out late as well seeing the fireworks. Some years we would shoot off some fireworks as well if strong parent supervision.

I like to when people enjoy having parties that include barbequing. I enjoy smelling whatever they are cooking even if I am not involved in the party.

The animals especially dogs have a hard time with fireworks and go a bit crazy. I am sure the dog owners make sure they are somewhere that they do not affected by them. My apartment complex fireworks are not allowed to set off however I usually hear them before and after the fireworks in the skies are shown off.

I hope that you all enjoy your weekend but if you have fireworks yourself that you will let off be careful because we do not want any hurting themselves. So happy 4th of July to you all.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment