Monday, August 15, 2016

How About the Weather

                                           A glorious day!!


 I am sure every place in the world has stories about the weather over the last few years. We certainly have here in the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

This weekend we had hot temperatures on Saturday of ninety degrees and then cooled off slightly on Sunday to low eighties. Like many days in July and early August the mornings have been overcast. In fact we had rain a couple times the first week of August which is uncommon for here. There has been mostly days where the sun has come out but not until around three o’clock in the afternoon. So summer has only been felt a few times this year. It is very unusual to have clouds in the sky in July and August.

Last year we had record temperatures during the spring and summer. I am not sure how many times but we had a lot of days where the temperatures were in the 90s. I know a lot of places where the 90s happens a lot but not here in the Pacific Northwest. Most years if it hits the 90s it is maybe once or twice. Our temperatures usually hover around the low 80s during the summer.

I remember in August when my brother got married we had a little of rain before the ceremony and a little after. Fortunately it did not rain during the ceremony. It was planned as an outdoor wedding. Where the wedding happened though we could have moved it indoors if necessary; really glad we did not have too.

The last three years we have had a lot of mild winters here without any snow to speak of. 2014 and 2015 the mountains did not have a lot of snow either so the snow pack was very low both years. This last winter though we had record of rainfall while the mountains had at least the average of snowfall which was very welcomed. Not only for the snow pack but the ski resorts enjoyed the return of snow. The previous two years skiing was at a very low level and I am sure the skiers were glad to get back to skiing.

I am not sure of the reasons why the weather has been different over the last several years then what we are accustomed to now going back and forth. I guess you can blame it on global warming or El NiƱo or maybe the weather goes in cycles; whatever the case the weather here has been unusual to say the very least. We do have times where the weather can change several times a day but that doesn’t happen during the summer. Now that I have just said that it will happen.

I have to say though that I am not a big fan of ninety degree weather. I prefer the high 70s and low 80s myself. I wear a hat most of the summer to protect my head. Also I put sun screen on when I plan to be outside for a long period of time. I am very fair skinned so I need to be protected from getting sun burned. On the bright side (sorry about the pun) at least I am not as bad off as when I was a kid. I really had to be protected from the sun back then. My mother put sun tan lotion on me almost every single day of the summer. I have to say that I did not enjoy the experience.

I have always enjoyed the spring and fall as my two favorite seasons of the year; summer does come in pretty close to. As a kid summer was number one for sure because I could do almost anything I wanted and I was not in school which was the best thing.

Although winter was last as far as the seasons go I enjoyed when we had the times when it snowed and we were not in school. The many days when it rained that was not fun at all. I had to find a way to get outside between the drops.

So wherever you are right now enjoy the weather and the day. We can’t complain too much because we are still here. Put on a happy face.


No comments:

Post a Comment