Saturday, September 3, 2016

Changing of Times


These days so much building is happening and Gig Harbor is no different. I love my home town but at some point you have to say enough is enough.

Actually I don’t mind individual homes being built or small developments but the large developments are real disgusting. In north Gig Harbor they are doing a couple of big developments. One of them is for young families while the other is for senior citizens. Along with that they are planning to build another shopping center like they need another one.

Most of the small developments you can still see a lot trees on the properties but all the trees have been taken out on these two developments. Another thing I don’t understand why anyone would buy a house where you have twenty neighbors on your door step. There are no yards for these people to enjoy. This may work in other places but in Gig Harbor it feels so out of place.

Closer to where I live there is another shopping center being built. The major attendant is a grocery store but they plan a video arcade, a bowling alley, a large restaurant and another coffee shop. Other shops that I don’t know about will also be there. The grocery store is moving from across the highway. Do not know what will replace the current grocery store. The big problem is what they will do about additional traffic. The traffic is heavy in the area already.

The people who really want this all call it progress. Funny word for something I shake my head over. The population has more than doubled in the last twenty years or more but Gig Harbor is still a small town though the atmosphere is so much different. Another thing the marinas and boats have increased as well on the harbor. Old timers are complaining but not much we can do about progress. Like I said before I don’t mind individual homes or small developments.

I expect many these people moving into the area are coming from California. These homes are very expensive in the half million dollar range. They don’t know the history of Gig Harbor and they have to get know their neighbors if they have the time. Hard to know whether these homes will all be sold anyway. I have seen some of the small developments where the land is right now waiting for someone to buy and build so what does it say about the larger ones.

Although I don’t like this progress I still love Gig Harbor but who knows in ten years. Personally I would slow things down and there are other areas less than an hour away where homes could be built as well. I don’t mind progress as long as it is done in the right manner.

I don’t do this very often but I have to vent every once in a while. This puts some drama into this too. So enjoy your wonderful weekend and have a smile on your face regardless of progress.  LOL.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment