Sunday, September 4, 2016

Good Times


I figure after writing about something serious it is good to say something about good times.

I like September because the temperatures are lowering now. I don’t mind the 80s but I prefer the 60s and 70s long as the sun shows its face. It certainly was different this year coming home last Monday from St. Louis where it was hot and muggy. The temperatures were in the 60s and there was a little bit of rain to go along with it. I don’t mind some rain as it doesn’t last too long. I thought the kids going back to school this weather sure beats having it real hot. I was not a big fan of school anyway but cool weather makes it better until classes get out in the afternoon where you go can go out and run free.

What I liked about September as a kid we had what was called the Puyallup Fair. Now it is known as the Washington State Fair. It took place for two weeks in the middle of September where we got out early one day to attend. We were given free tickets for the day. Mom taught in another school district and their day was different than ours so Dad took us if he were available to do so otherwise we would go another day as a family. I really enjoyed going on the rides well as eating scones and cotton candy. Now the fair is going for four weeks. It is a big money maker and gives everyone more of a chance to go. Besides the rides you can see the animals. The weather is usually pretty good to spend the day and now they have large hamburgers along with curly fries to go with scones and cotton candy. I don’t go to the fair often as I used too. The large crowds along with the fact you see the same thing all the time. If you have kids every year is a must long as they enjoy it. When they become teenagers as we all know they are on their own anyway. At that point parents are not in the equation any way.

Baseball is my favorite sport to watch and it is coming to the end in September with playoffs and World Series coming in October. Our local team the Mariners hasn’t been in the playoffs for fourteen years and this year doesn’t seem any different however I still enjoy them. High School and College football just started this weekend while the NFL goes next weekend. I played some organized football as a young kid but never played in high school. It wasn’t because I did not want to play my parents would not let me because they thought I wasn’t big enough and would get hurt. Though I didn’t like it at the time it was probably a wise decision. In Junior High though my friends and I would go play football at the city park not far from home or school; we would do it every day right after school. I would walk home from school because it was faster than taking the bus.

Although I was not a big fan of school the activities were good times that I remember. It was good seeing your classmates after not seeing most of them during the summer. I figure you have to look at the positive over the negative. I am sure parents are glad that the kids are back in school even if the kids are not so much. The most important thing is to enjoy the good times regardless the time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment