Monday, September 19, 2016

Going Fishing




What most of us enjoyed as children was going fishing with our fathers whether we were boys and girls. One gal I grew up with in school she still fishes today because of the time she fished with her dad. She now fishes with her grandchildren and goes to Alaska almost every summer when she comes back to the northwest to see family and friends.

I spent most of my fishing on our dock in Gig Harbor. My dad showed me how to fish and then I spent more time by myself on the dock. I mostly caught flounders and bullheads. Another gal I went to school with that I saw a couple times this summer after not seeing her for many years we talked about a lot of things including fishing. We laughed over the fact that she caught flounders and bullheads too. One of many things we had in common growing up in the Gig Harbor Washington area. She now lives in England and comes back to Gig Harbor every summer. Though she lives in England she still feels Gig Harbor as home. So many of the children I grew up with feel the same way about Gig Harbor.

Most of the time with my dad was spent on one of our sailboats. He loved sailboats a lot ever since he was a teenager. Although he was not a big baseball fan like myself he did coach my little league team one year. Other kids on the team still remember my dad coaching the team. They all thought he was a great coach. He would take me to some minor league games as well.

Whatever our memories were growing up dad was always part of it. Also mom had her part to play as well. For most of us if dad could not come to see us play usually it was because of work so mom came to be sure a parent was there to watch.

I haven’t fished for some time now though still in my memory I think of dad while I sit on the dock. Though dad is no longer around either he is always in my heart and we are fishing, throwing the baseball around or out in Puget Sound sailing. Thanks a lot dad for the memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment